For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Chiropractic and PT has made improvement Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By dkleinert On 2010.04.25 04:25
Wondered if any of you have ever worked with a chiropractor and a PT person, to help your pdr? After my husband's knee surgery, we started having this incredible PT person, Sandy, come 2 times a week. She suggested that my pd husband begin going to the chiropractor at least 1 time per week before she comes for PT. Now he is going 2 times per week and she is coming 2 times per week, and my pd husband has really improved, both emotionally and physically. He stands taller and not so hunched over - not all the time, but much of the day, he does not shuffle all the time, but takes smaller steps than before PD, but he walks much better, his emotional state is so much better. I asked the chiropractor, Dr. Dan, last week why this is.....he says because pd tends to close down the blood flow to the brain because the atlas and other bones in the neck are compromised by the hunching over, and so less oxygen to the brain is not a good thing of course for pdrs. Now, he is opening that up and thus more blood flow to the brain. He is not a "wrack and crack" type chiropractor - he uses an activator. He also uses what we call a "stretching machine". Joe actually likes that machine and how it makes him feel. Dr. Dan says Joe will be getting back some of the height he has lost with pd. Anyway, we have been doing this for about 2 months and are seeing some profound results......this all may be temporary, but for now....it is pretty awesome to see.......your thoughts and comments please. Thanks!

By karolinakitty On 2010.04.25 07:05
dk.... i understand the benefits of both, just on a "healthy" person and i can see where it would help Pdrs..
I had to have a chiro and he was great.... he invented his own "stretching" machine to apply to what he was was needed. Each time i went I first had a massage, then the stretching, then the adjustments as needed. That stretcher thing was awesome. After having the muscles relaxed through massage, then stretching them felt soooooooo good. Here's my one question....
Did he have a tough time getting up and down on the stretching machine?
Mine has such a hard time on a regular docs table i wondered how it works with this stretching machine?
It has been about 7 years since i went to chiro, so maybe the machine is different now but just curious, because we have talked in general about going to see one.

By parkinit On 2010.04.25 11:21
Sounds like a good idea (the stretching) for the shuffling. My hubby gets a massage once a week to help him, but does have trouble getting off/on that table.

By mylove On 2010.04.25 14:50
I absolutely think the massage, stretching, etc is good for them. I have the opposite problem, though, and to me it's an odd one. Maybe one of you has seen it as well.

I used to be one of those people that everyone came to for a massage. I don't mind it, in fact to me it's one of those little 'I love you' gestures. Several times when he's felt achy, stiff, etc. I've offered to do it for him, but he absolutely won't let me do it. Not that he's rude about it, but he sort of gently poo poohs the idea. I know how much better my muscles feel when I get one, and I think it would help him too. I actually have a drawer full of massage oil bars, hoping that if I bought just the right one he would like it well enough to let me help.

Compounding it is the fact that we have both gone to the same chiro. In fact, he was the one who turned me on to her, so I know he's used the technique before. She's great - has one of those aquassage beds, then the massage chair, then the physical hands on massage, and finally the adjustment. It takes two hours total and you come away feeling wonderful. Our insurance pays for several a year and I wonder why he won't take advantage of either that or my offers to do something for him at home.

I guess what I'm confused about is what changed. He says isn't unpleasant and doesn't hurt, but obviously something is unpleasant enough about the concept that it's an automatic 'no'. What hurts is that his ex was into all that 'alternative' stuff with stones and crystals and massage and laying on of hands, and he's told me he let HER do it for him, and how wonderful she was, etc. and how well it worked.

Is this a totally personal issue, or do some PD'ers find massage unpleasant? Has something changed?

By lurkingforacure On 2010.04.25 17:52
Thanks everyone for your kind words on my "bad day" rant. PD does stink, as mylove said. Sometimes you just don't know what to do. I am having more and more of those days, helpless, frustrated, tired.

But on this massage thing, I will offer this: my guy won't hear of a massage, not even if it were the Pope himself doing the massaging. He has a phobia of other people touching him, although I can massage him all day long and he loves it. Go figure. I WISH he would go, I think it could really help and even our neuro suggested it. But he's always been like this, only more so as we've gotten older....and I have to say all the media scares about people carrying this foreign germ or that one dont' help as he is a bit of a Howard Hughes clean freak in that regard. I have often thought of taking a massage class, so I can do it correctly, but there is no way I have time for something like that.

By LOHENGR1N On 2010.04.25 17:55
ml, I can't say for sure but yes probably something changed.

As P.D. progresses and our med's increase We're more prone to the dyskinesia associated with P.D. and as side effects of some med's. So when one massages our muscles and we're dystonic, well when the muscles loosen back to the non dystonic state it can feel like we've been worked over by a loan shark wanting their money. So while yes at times it might feel great those times don't offset the times not right and some would rather not risk it. We're different in a lot of ways than we were before P.D..

For the caregivers out there, think about having a "charley horse" you know how intense they can be and how we try to rub them out quick to get rid of the pain. Imagine now having one lasting for a couple of hours, Now massaging the muscles (not in a normal cramp but one induced by disease or drug) deeper and longer, keeping in mind this won't relax until the med's either kick in or cut out? The probing, kneading and massaging ARE affecting these muscles but it's not a "normal cramp, and the massage won't release it until as I said either the med's are working if it's caused by Parkinson's or the med's stop working if it's a side effect of the medicine. When those muscles release then We have to deal with what the massage has done to Us also. Another way to indentify or explain it is have you ever had back problems and the doctor raises you leg telling you to tell them when it hurts? When you do the doctor raises it a bit higher and you hurt for a few days later? It's kind of similar.
Just my thoughts and feeble stab at explaining what might be the reasoning. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you