For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic urinating at night Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By mezmo On 2010.04.26 12:35
I am new to the board. along with my mom not being cofortable in bed at night her biggest worry is having to get up to urinate at night. she has to get up anywhere from 1 to 3 times a night to urinate. she sleeps with a depends on but does not like going in it. it is only when she is in a deep sleep that she urinates in the depends. we also use pads on top of the sheets because the depends does not hold what she elimenates. if she wakes up and realizes she is wet she wakes me up to change her. she has to be assisted to get up at night because the meds have worn off and she is very rigid. she has started taking a time release crbo/levo at night but it does not seem to help. anyone else have this situation? any suggestions on how to get through the night. is there another brand of adult diaper that will hold more than depends? this is her #1 worry.

By Frankie On 2010.04.26 13:19
I'm also new to the board. I care for my mother-in-law, and she, too, wakes up several times at night to use the bathroom. You probably do pretty much the same that I do--get her to the bathroom before bedtime, limit intake of liquids for the last few hours while she's up, and try to get used to being roused from the bed several times in the middle of the night. I've added a standard 4:00 am wake-up and assist to the bathroom, which I will cancel if she gets me up an hour or two before this. I got lots of sheets, learned to change a bed in my sleep, and use the washable bed pads available from medical supply stores.
On another topic, does anyone know about silverware that she can use to better feed herself? Mom insists on holding her fork at the very end of the handle, and she loses about half of each bite halfway to her mouth. Aside from trying to find forks with shorter handles, I am not sure what else I can do.

By karolinakitty On 2010.04.26 14:51
Frankie.... here is a link to the silverware and other various caregiver products.
There are several other websites. Just call me google..... i google eveything and always seem to find what i want. I haven't had to get inot these issues yet but knew i had seen it before. You might want to shop the internet to find what fits your budget....

http://www.caregiverproducts.com/site/270651/page/911643/parkinson%27s-products

By parkinit On 2010.04.26 23:02
My husband gets up at least 2-3 times a night and frequently 4-6. He was waking me up for awhile and I told him that i couldn't keep waking up all night and then keep things going in the household (doing my work plus more and more of his duties) without both of us suffering. We talked about options - finding assistance, etc. We really didn't want to go this route just yet.

What we figured out is "bedside assistance." For a woman, you could purchase a bedside toilet where you don't have to walk all the way to the bathroom. He sometimes needs assistance getting out of bed, which I still help with, but he uses a urine bottle. I sometimes still have to roll over and help push him up in bed, but once he is sitting, he can use the bottle himself. Much more rest for me and he now takes naps most afternoons to regain some of the missed sleep. Hope this helps.

© MyParkinsons.org · Published by jAess Media · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Sponsorship Assistance for this website and Forum has been provided by Woodworking-News.com
and
by people like you