For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Shuffling gait - Watch out for Small Animals! Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By parkinit On 2010.04.26 23:06
I found this in an older post, but thought it worthy of repeating as it worked wonderfully for my spouse. My husband sometimes literally moves his knees, but his feet don't move or shuffles in place. I read in an earlier post that someone told their PDer to pretend there was a small animal in front of them and they had to step over this animal - taking exaggerated steps. We did this and it worked amazingly for him. You have to tell them to do this, otherwise, they seem to just forget to use it as a tactic.

By karolinakitty On 2010.04.27 08:26
Before all the fancy walkers and such that have come out, it was pure imagination to help out with the freezing. The woman at my bank told me the story of her grandfather who had PD and they told him to pretend the grandkids were on the floor so he could get moving again. This was some 30 years ago. They then added a stick at the bottom of his cane so he would have to try and walk over it....

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you