For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Problems w/ Medications Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By DianeBennett6 On 2010.04.28 22:04
My dad was diagnosed w/PD about 2 years ago. About two months ago he was having coffee with friends, came home ... something happened. He was completely out of it. Taking baby steps, trying to step over something that was not there, walking in circles. He was put in the hospital for three days, removed from all his meds for a few days and started at scratch again. He still is not back to his old self. Has any one been through this?

By parkinit On 2010.04.29 09:46
Diane - Every PDer is different in amount of dosages and types of meds they take. I have heard of some PDers developing a psychosis, but only after being on meds for many years, so I would outrule this as a possibility for your dad.

Given that, some meds just work better than others and some have different reactions with specific meds (more sensitivity), so the plan to remove all drugs and start from scratch sounds like a good one. Unfortunately, it is a very stressful time to remove meds (we've had to do it a few times for testing), because the patient panics, feels pain, can't move very well (if at all), etc. It is always good to constantly evaluate how the meds are effecting the patient. We have to do this frequently.

Hope this helps.

By lbellomy On 2010.04.29 09:55
Make sure he is checked for any kind of infection such as urinary tract, gum, etc. Infections can throw the body off.
Lorraine

By LOHENGR1N On 2010.04.29 15:56
Diane, also it's a good idea to read all and any over the counter medications being taken as many have warnings and interact with Anti-Parkinson's medication. Herbals too. Something as simple as Your Dad talking with His friends and saying he had a tickle in his throat and being given a medicated lozenge might cause interactions. I know...great huh...something more to worry about. Such is life with Parkinson's Disease. I hope He gets back to His old self quickly. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By DianeBennett6 On 2010.04.29 21:38
Thank you so much for your responses. :)

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you