For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Night time Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By DianeBennett6 On 2010.05.02 17:21
I trying to find out if what we are going through is normal. My dad takes little cat naps during the day but at night he is on the prowl. After midnight it's like he becomes a different person. Angry, cussing at us, up/down. There have been a few times that we have had to call the cops to calm him down. My mom can't leave his side. We are trying to get her to get a night assistant to come in and help. Has anyone tried this? My sister and I are carrying some major guilt but we have to work to provide for our families. We can't chase and argue with him all night then go to work. He is fine during the day but he has momma driving him all over town.

By shirley On 2010.05.02 20:16
Hi Dianne, This sounds so much like what I went through with my husband after a fall and fracture, hospitalization, and a ton of painkillers. After many sleepless nights and calling on my children to help, I had to call an agency and get a night assistant to come in and stay with him while I slept. He did not want the woman here but I had reached the end of my rope. I went upstairs when she arrived and closed the door. It was the only way I could cope. We kept her for 2-1/2 months and finally he got to the point where he could sleep at night, at least for 4-5 hours. It sounds like you might need someone longer.

After having been through this once, I would not hesitate if I had to do it again. One cannot be an effective caregiver without sufficient rest. Please do not feel guilty. Your first responsibility is to your own family. Neither you, your sister, or your mother can keep up this kind of schedule.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you