For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Feet/toes issues Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By parkinit On 2010.05.13 23:15
Does anyone have any suggestions for care of the awful abuse a PDers feet undergo? My husband has developed a hammertoe and was going to undergo treatment for it when it corrected itself. It appears to be curling up again and twisting now. Also, he always has huge callouses on the ends of his big toes because of the way he slides his feet when he walks.

While I'm on the subject of walking . . . I hold often hold my breath because he half jogs many places and frequently runs into doors, barely catching himself in time before he slams into them. Last night he spilled a bowl of cereal he was carrying because he slammed into the door and it flew every - he often cannot stop in time once he sets his body motion forward. I just hold my breath. I've tried to warn him lately by stating "You are in a high risk mode for falling right now." He doesn't listen. What to do, what to do??

It seems that PDers either can barely walk or are half jogging and cannot stop their forward motion!

By mylove On 2010.05.13 23:23
Parkinit, that quick forward motion is 'festination', and it's pretty common. He won't be able to help it, unfortunately, since it isn't so much a conscious 'hurrying' but more of a 'I'm going to fall so I'm trying to catch myself'; it's just part of the package.

By parkinit On 2010.05.14 09:21
So what tools do you use as a caregiver to keep your loved ones safe? We're using the power wheelchair more and more, but because our bedroom is upstairs, there is no assistance upstairs. I've been told by PTs that we are NOT to use a walker because it causes more harm than good with the PDers propensity to lean forward when ambulating. Any suggestions/ideas?

By susger8 On 2010.05.17 09:21
You might consider a U-Step walker -- it has grips like a bicycle hand brake, except you have to squeeze the grips to take the brakes off. So if the person starts to get going too fast, letting go will put the brakes on and stop the walker. You can also increase the "drag" on the wheels so the walker can't go too fast. It's a well-designed piece of machinery. I wish I had gotten one earlier.

Sue

By Emma On 2010.05.17 10:55
I too recommend the U-Step walker. It was specifically designed for people with Parkinson's. The PT who used to work with my husband was actually the first one who told me about it and it's been a Godsend. It's rather expensive but Medicare will pay for most of it if you get a prescription from the doctor. My husband does still tend to bend over a bit with it but I figure, so what? He bends over with his cane and when he walks without an assistive device too. At least with the U-Step I feel like he is safe and it has a seat so he can sit down if he gets tired. I believe they have a website if you want to check it out, just do a search for U-Step Walker.

By parkinit On 2010.05.17 23:12
Thanks Emma and SUS. I'll check out the U-step walker!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you