For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Drinking cups for disabled Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By cdcohio On 2010.05.14 20:57
Hi everyone... I am doing a little reasearch on what type of drinking cups people use for providing care to those that have diminished motor skills.

I know that often "Sippy cups" are used however the problem I hear is that suction is a problem for some and feeling degraded is a problem for many adults being forced to drink from a "child's cup".

Also, for those providing care, how many ounces do you feel is a good capacity for a drinking cup? Is a smaller cup or larger cup better? do you thing that additional handles are needed?

Please feel free to share any other ideas or stories related to this subject.

Thank you in advance for all of your help!!!!

By LOHENGR1N On 2010.05.14 23:50
doing research? For who or what?

By parkinit On 2010.05.15 01:38
We've found that the cups with built in straws (for kids) and lids work great for smaller amounts such as milk or juice. For larger amounts, we also use big snap on lids with straws for greater volumes - such as water being drank throughout the day.

By lynn On 2010.05.16 13:25
Starbucks has new clear plastic glasses with screw lids and built in straws in two sizes. I'm going to buy a few for my husband.

By LOHENGR1N On 2010.05.16 16:28
The reason I first answered this post was because this person didn't say they were a caregiver, or knew anyone with Parkinson's Disease. Just that they are doing research and didn't say for what? A book? A school paper? Many times someone will post on forums to gain information because they want to put together books on caregiving, requesting hints and help garnered from sites like this for their own profit. I always cringe when these things happen. They prey upon the goodness and willingness to help others displayed by Caregivers. Until One comes forth from the start with honesty and can state their reason for trying to garner this information, I, by my own choice, remain guarded and short coming with responses. I have seen to many of these types of posts and actions over the years to make me skeptical and wary.

By Emma On 2010.05.16 17:20
Lohengrin, the first thought I had when I read this post was that this person is trying to design a cup, come up with a product. But you never know. We don't have a problem with cups so I didn't answer but I share your wariness of these kinds of posts when the person is not forthcoming about their motives.

By shirley On 2010.05.16 18:29
I was glad to see your post Lohengrin. Wondered the same thing.

By cdcohio On 2010.05.16 23:47
Thank you to those that responded and my apologies to those that are wary for not giving more detail. I didn't think a few questions about drinking cups would be met with too much cynicism..... :)

Yes, someone guessed correctly in that I am developing a cup. The idea originally came to me when my children were younger (the oldest is now graduating HS this year... where does the time go?) Anyhow, not to digress..... the problem I saw then was the lack of a cup to teach children how to drink from the rim of a glass while controlling the flow of the drink.

I thought about this problem and sat on the idea, revisiting it on occassion, for the last 13 years or so. In designing and seeking manufacturers etc I met a man at a plastic injection company whose daughter is disabled. She cannot form suction or drink from an open cup so they often spoon feed her liquids. When he first saw my design he shared his story and told me that this might be the perfect thing for his daughter's situation.... and of course I then realized the application for disabled users... so much so that I have focused primarily on that instead of the original intent as a child's training device.

I have a patent application filed and am in the process recieving quotes from mold makers. I have produced a number of prototypes and experimented with designs and configurations working in the garage on a lathe and milling machine that I purchased just for this.

On a personal note, I am a contractor by trade and a councilman in my city. I am married with 3 children 18, 17, 14.

Back to the cup... the product is essentially a specially designed baffle that fits into a cup and meters the flow of liquid. It works exactly the same regardless of the rotation of the cup and keeps the flow regulated no matter how far back the cup is tilted while drinking. The resulting flow of fluid can be consumed right from the rim of the cup just like normal except that there is no chance of a surge or overflow of fluid resulting from tipping the cup too fast, for instance.

I hope that I have given enough infor to no longer be a "stranger" with questionable motives.

Please feel free to email me any time or post your thoughts and comments here.

I really do hope that this cup can work to make life better for a lot of people in need.

By karolinakitty On 2010.05.17 07:51
cdcohio ...
I don't think it's as much cynicism as caution.... on boards like this you can get some real idiots and people seeking out information fo their own gain. It's the nature of the beast. We consider ourselves family here and Lohengrin is our "daddy" ever watchful that we aren't being taken advantage of. We are in a rough place and unless you've been there and done that, you wouldn't understand. Caregivers have a 24/7 job and this our venting room and room for gathering information about what OUR needs are, as well as our caregiven. It is an education place, learning and ever changing needs place.

Your idea seems great especially when it comes to the ability to help others. The idea of a regulated flow is awesome for those who can't control it.

I guess if you've done your research you know PD folks have issues with swallowing and of course the tremors. i mention the tremors last because i think most will agree that the true issue is not them. While it makes it difficult for the pdr to get the cup to the mouth without spilling a drop, when they get to the choking stage is when it gets harder. Drinking with out choking. So you might consider that also.

Good luck with your product!!!!

an afterthought .. a ps ...

donating a protion of your proceeds to a childrens group for ms..cf... or whatever would help me personally like your product more!!!!!!!!!

By susger8 On 2010.05.17 09:15
That's interesting -- I am sure there would be a market for a product like that.

For my dad, I use the type of cup with the snap-on lid and built-in straw that was mentioned earlier. Or a travel coffee cup with a lid. Children's cups are too small and there is, of course, a reluctance to use a child's product.

Ten or twelve ounces is probably a reasonable size. A handle is helpful, because my dad's hands are somewhat deformed from muscle contracture, and his grip is not always reliable. One handle would be enough, though.

By cdcohio On 2010.05.17 09:46
I can imagine how difficult it is to care for someone that is disabled. My own father, at 71 years old, broke his neck a couple years ago (nov 2008) and although he remained in the hospital for 4.5 months until he passed away from complications, I spent just about every day there with him and did provide a good amount of care to him. My sister and I coordinated our best to be there as much as possible with her in the mornings and me in the evenings. At one point we anticipated him coming to live with one of us and were trained and prepared to provide his care but he never improved enough to come home. He was rendered a complete quadraplegic and even needed assistance to breath completely via a ventilator through his trachea. This left him unable to speak so all of our conversations were done through lip reading. Then of course he would have regular periods of psychosis due to the hospital environement so one day you could have a clear conversation and the next would be either nonsense or contradictory to an earlier conversation, which was very tough when it came to handling all of his affairs.

I, being the oldest (I am 40, btw), was the one that had to make all of the decisions that he couldn't.... including the most painful decisions of helping him die once he decided to enter hospice. There was one instance a few weeks earlier when he went into septic shock from a UTI and was completely unresponsive and I had to make the call on whether to save him or not... although I knew that I should have let him go I wasn't able to at that time. My sister was crying on my shoulder and I just couldn't let go. Talking to my dad later he said I should have let him go and I guess that is when I realized I just couldn't do that to him again so when it was finally time for the end, I did all that I could do to make it as quick and painless as possible for him. It took 25 hours for him to pass away in hospice. My sister and I both crawled into his bed and held him as his final minutes arrived.

BTW, My father raised my sister and I by himself... my mother was never around.

Anyhow, I don't know what any of this has to do with why I am here but I thought I might share. Honestly it helps me to talk about it and perhaps someone else here could relate to it as well.

By Emma On 2010.05.17 11:03
cdcohio, we can all relate to what you went through with your father and we know that most of us will be facing those same issues with our loved one in the future. It's a hard road to travel no matter what illness, accident or disease set you off on it. Thank you for sharing your story.

Best of luck with your drinking cup, I think it's a wonderful idea. Karolina kitty is right, we're really not cynics, just cautious about people's agendas. Once in a while we get some nut job on this site so we're wary.

Take care.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you