For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Pills - when/how to take over from patient? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By parkinit On 2010.05.15 01:46
The last several months I've felt that my PDers memory has declined - especially when it involves his pill management. He prefills his pills several days in advance in 7 pocket pill containers. What I've recently discovered is that he could possibly be taking double doses as I've discovered up to 3 different pill containers used for the same day because he kept misplacing his designated container for that day. The day I found this, he acted very "high" on his pills which led me to believe it's highly likely he may have taken double doses at least once. He also attaches a piece of paper and pen to each packet to write down the times he take the pills, but these invariably get lost, too.

I've offered to take over the pill management for him, but he vehemently refuses this offer. We are in a sort of "battle" over who should manage his pills right now.

How have others handled this? Do you involve the doctor? I'm just not sure what is the best way to approach this. Thanks.

By hubb On 2010.05.15 12:29
I had to take over pill management due to the same thing - he didn't remember if he took his meds or not, so just gradually I think we moved into my giving him his meds. He has to take every 3.5 hrs and I keep them in a container marked and then I write down when I give him his meds, because after taking for so long, you lose track as well. At night, I have lined up 3 sets of pills for him in case he needs them, which he usually does, and we always give him his meds just prior to bedtime, but then sometimes he awakens and just takes them and it might have just been an hour - and the symptoms of overdosing are the same as underdosing - so it's a fine line we have to tread. Now I am keeping the pills on my side of the bed so I can give them at night - when it's said that caretaking is 24/7, that's a sure thing. As the PD worsens too, meds are required more often. If I give him a container to put in his shirt pocket, I have the same problem as you - he'll double up on them - so it's just better to tell him you'll help him manage the time line on them and can write it down so he'll know that he's getting the proper dosage. There's no easy way out and once again sometimes you just have to be blunt and then of course you pay the consequence, because all of us understand they want to be independent as long as possible and hate to give in and realize they need help - isn't easy!

By Emma On 2010.05.15 14:40
I took over medications about 3 years ago. When he was doing it I always monitored them (secretly) to be sure he was taking them correctly. Most of the time it was OK but then he started making more and more mistakes. The day that he took his entire days pills by 11:00 in the morning was the day I took over. He was a little resistent but I explained to him that he could end up in the hospital if he took them incorrectly so he let me take over without too much arguement. Now, however, everytimeI give him his pills he questions me about them, what are they, didn't he just take this one, etc. Same routine every time, but that's OK. I also keep the medication locked up just in case he gets confused and decides to take them. It's another tough thing, another thing they have to give up and it's hard.

By MJ-Camano On 2010.05.15 17:21
I also took over the medications about 3 years ago, when I noticed he was filling his weekly pill box and noticed he had double doses in some days and nothing in other days. He couldn't manage to fill the little boxes, then he wouldn't remember to take the pills on time, tried alarm clocks, a phone with a timer (he just ignored it.) Now I put out the daily pills in little dishes with a note by the dishes with the time to take. If I am here or someone else is here, we try to give him the pills as he has no sense of time or when to take them.

This is a constant problem, as it is really hard to get him up in the morning to start the pills on time. We don't seem to notice much difference if he takes the pills in a timely manner or not.

By parkinit On 2010.05.16 00:59
Thanks for the input. It's a tough call. Maybe we're not to the point many of you are quite yet, but I'm going to keep a close watch on things. I'm going to have a caregiver stay here for several days, so I may just have her write i a notebook when he takes the pills to keep him on track and continue in that mode when I return - if it relieves some of the management and stress for him, he may give this up willingly. (I hope I hope)

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you