For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic UTI's Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By dennyor On 2010.05.18 12:58
My mom has been fighting a UTI since last November (that's when we discovered it) it is now the middle of May. The urologist has gone through all the antibiotic drugs with her and she has become resistant to them all now. Tomorrow we are going in for an ultra-sound to check her kidneys. She feels no symptoms (burning, having to pee etc) but of course she hasn't seemed her self sometimes,- confusion etc. The doc says she doesn't empty her bladder as she has lost muscle control and she's worn diapers for about 2 years now (of course that doesn't help). I'm going crazy and the doctor is baffled at what to do next - it looks as though the next treatment sounds like intravenous meds but he wants to check the kidneys and bladder with the ultra-sound first. I quit my job 5 years ago to take care of her full time. The other PD situations I've dealt with (the falls, the hospital visits, the dehydration - most I believe caused by the UTI's) but the constant infection is exhausting and very worrisome re: septic shock etc. Any help out there or just conversation would be appreciated. I just found this site and believe it may help me from climbing the walls!!!

By Pearly4 On 2010.05.18 13:11
My mom had chronic low grade UTI's without symptoms also. Occasional flares would produce some symptoms. They put her on a prophylactic antibiotics (one pill per day) of Macrodantin and increased it to a higher "normal" dosage if there were flares (2 in 5 years). Meantime cranberry juice actually does help especially if it is taken at night for instance, when it might remain in the bladder for 4 hours or more. She drank a glass every night.

By lurkingforacure On 2010.05.18 16:12
Ditto, the best cranberry juice we have found is the juice direct from the berry, not that diluted or mixed-wtih-other-juices ocean spray stuff or similar. I think the brand we use is Knudsen's and it's pricey, about nine buck for a tiny bottle, but it's very very concentrated so you only need to put about a tablespoon into a glass of water and then drink. If it's too tart, you can add some stevia which is an herbal sweetener that has no effect on blood sugar levels (or PD symptoms, as far as I can tell). This stuff is what you get when you squeeze the berry, pure and simple and strong. It's as close as you can get to eating the whole berry without actually doing so.

I add this to the kid's lemonade to turn it a fabulous pink and they think it's great, have no idea it's helping clean out their kidneys and bladders!

By rmshea On 2010.05.27 18:11
Are you sure it isn't interstitial cystitis? Many times a person with IC is misdiagnosed for years, as I was. You need to see a urologist who can test and treat for IC.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you