For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Completely Lost Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By carbon27555 On 2010.05.18 20:29
Hi, I am a total "NewBe" to this disease. My Husband was diagonised less than a week ago with PD. He is 73 yrs. old, and has had many many health problems in the past. His PD is fairly advanced and the reason that it was not diagnosed before is because he had a malignant brain tumor removed and radiation to the brain four yrs ago, and I believe that is why we have missed the symptoms. Everything that was out of the ordinary for the last four years we have blamed on the surgery/radiation.

As you can see I am not new to being a caregiver, but right now I am not sure what to do about this. He can barely walk without help - he refuses to use a cane or walker, we have a medichair in the house. Here is my question - do I help him walk, insist on the walker, or let him use the medichair?
People are telling me that I need to make him do for himself for as long as possible, I understand that, but it is very difficult to watch him struggle. If it is for his own good - ie (if you don't use it you lose it) - then of course I will let him keep trying to navigate on his own.

Your experience and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Please ignore all spelling mistakes - I am a terrible speller and haven't found spell check on here yet.

Thanks - carbon27555

By karolinakitty On 2010.05.19 07:49
Hi Carbon27555 .. Welcome to the forum..... stubborness ... yeah i have one too. Refuses to let me get him a scooter for when we go out. He has a golf cart to get around on the property here, and uses his cane .... but i got him a "sexy" one so it looks more sophisticated than "old man" as he calls it. Mine is only 53, though i think sometimes he thinks he's still 23. His cane is actually labeled a walking stick but it sturdy enough to help him with balance and avoid falls. My neighbor also made him a really nice cane out of a tree root ... maybe one of those might help him use one to at least stabilize him.

Good luck to you and if you have any other questions please just ask .....

I'm sure there are others here who have similar issues ......

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you