For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Good day with bad day Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By parkinit On 2010.05.20 22:28
Today was a "good day" for my husband. It was a "bad day" for me. He was constantly stumbling over things - acting drunk. I used to think this was because he was taking pills too close together, but I have closely monitored this today and this was not the issue - same batch of pills, same time of day, months after months, but different response. Funny how this happens out of the blue.

I had a bad day - bad memories. He acted like he did once before - when he fell and we later found that he had a subdural hematoma. He listened to me this time, though. He sat down when I said "high risk of falling alert." NOT like last time when he fell 7-8 times throughout the day - frequently and repeatedly hitting his head, scraping his arm, getting back up and doing it all over again. He fell even when in the hospital with a "danger of falling" sticker on his door and on his wrist bracelet. Back to today: All day long it was like this - this acting drunk. Yes, I was worried about him, yet glad he was having a good day.

He felt productive and I was glad he felt good today. He actually mowed the lawn for several minutes without tiring. He hasn't done this in probably over a year. He loves to work in the yard. Now we rest in bed and all is well. I'm glad he had a good day - they don't come around often.

By Emma On 2010.05.21 09:55
I'm sorry that you had a bad day. If it's any comfort my husband does the same thing. I call it the "drunken sailor syndrome".

By parkinit On 2010.05.21 13:01
Emma -

Thanks for your comment. I guess I wondered if others did this as well, too (the "drunken sailor" effect - as you call it). Thanks for sharing. I'm sorry you have to go through this as well. When we are out in public, we get scornful looks from others who think he is drunk. He stated, "I'm not going to explain to every person I meet that the reason I behave this way is because I have Parkinson's." He did feel compelled to tell some electricians yesterday because he was stumbling, slurring his speech, etc. He said it was because he has to take so many drugs for his condition. I'm not sure they fully understand . . . ever.

Today, he woke up and was not feeling so well. We had to cancel an engagement we had planned to attend. I gave him an Apokyn shot (apomorphine), which is something new the doctor has had us trying the last few months to get us through those "down" times in between pills. It seemed to make matters worse, not better. We discussed reevaluating taking these shots since they don't really seem to be helping lately.

We discussed this and acknowledged that after a really good day for him, it is normally followed by a "bad day."

By karolinakitty On 2010.05.21 14:11
As you talk about being out in public and the "drunken" thing... it reminded me of a few weeks ago when my neighbor across the canal told mine he should cut back on his drinking a little, he's stumbling way too much.
Now they don't know us real well, we just moved here about 2 years ago and the funny thing is that when they come in from being on the lake they are so drunk they fall off their pontoon onto the ground and can hardly make it to their house.
Mine doesn't drink at all, neither do I. He was a good boy he just said yes ma'm i'll do that.
I myself wanted to tell her, uhhh it's not his fault, but he wouldn't let me...said it's too complicated for real drunks to understand!!!!!!!
How true!!!!!

By parkinit On 2010.05.21 21:46
Karolina -

I appreciate your husband's sense of humor. Thanks for sharing. Of course, I may have been one of those people being all "judmental" had I not had the knowledge I have now through my experience with PD. I guess God is giving me a much needed lesson.

If we can't grow and learn through our hard times, then what are they for? I choose to believe we are supposed to grow and learn (okay, even though I may grumble every now and then). :)

By Emma On 2010.05.22 06:16
parkinit, I forgot to mention this but when my husband first retired, and was still driving, he got a part-time job delivering small packages to peoples homes. After a while the company started getting complaints from customers that the deliveryman was drunk. His employers knew that it was the Parkinson's and were sympathetic, but it was bad for business and they had to let him go. Sometimes you just want to scream when you're out in public and getting those looks, whether it's because people think he's drunk, or in our case, think he's just a stupid slob or crazy because of the dementia. He told me once that people treat him like he's not whole. It broke my heart, but he's right, they do.

By parkinit On 2010.05.23 11:50
When someone "acts drunk," don't you think they are feeling, thinking, etc., as a drunk person would? I detect from some of the posts that perhaps some feel that you can "act drunk" but not have other symptoms of a drunk person.

I'm curious because when my husband "acts drunk," he has all the other symptoms of being drunk and his driver license was taken away because of this reason plus erractic driving habits and behaviours.

Thanks,

By karolinakitty On 2010.05.23 13:18
i would have to say yes ... Mine was a real good drunk before i met him and says that he hates that he feels that way now also. He slurs his words, stumbles, can't think straight, feels dizzy, and "off", just like he was a real drunk.... now this isn't all the time ... just episodes of it........

By Emma On 2010.05.23 14:06
My husband seems to have the physical appearance of being drunk but not the mental or cognitive effects. Go figure.

By LOHENGR1N On 2010.05.23 20:18
Okey Dokey, Let's hear straight from one of the horses mouths...... I've been stopped twice. Once driving (before I decided to quit driving) I had stopped at a convenience store to get a coffee. When I left the store I noticed a police car following me. Turns out the clerk called the police because I slurred my words and was a little off balance. The police followed me right to the edge of their jurisdiction before pulling me over. We stopped you because it looked like you were having trouble staying within the marked lanes they said. Then they added you didn't cross or leave your lane but we want to make sure you're ok. I'm fine I told them. Please step out of the car sir. Ok here we go sobriety test.
Do you have any medical conditions We should know about that may interfere with this test?
Yes I do!
What is that sir?
I have Parkinson's Disease.
What's that?
A neurological condition that causes balance problems, voice problems and tremors.
Do you take any medication?
Yes!
What do you take?
Finishing my laundry list of med's the officer now suffering from writers cramp puts his pad away. Please say, don't sing the alphabet just say it.
abcdefghijk.............
Ok Sir, count backward from 100.
100,99, the jerk made me go all the way down to in the 20's !
Now Sir would you heel and toe 10 steps down this line turn and do the same 10 steps back?
I'll try but I'm tremoring pretty bad from the stress right now.....ten wobbly steps both ways.
Ok Sir now if you would put both feet together arms out to your side tilt your head back close your eyes and touch your nose!?!
Sir? What are you waiting for?
I'm waiting for one of you to get behind me to catch me when I fall over backwards! I've told you I have Parkinson's Disease I can't do what you asked without losing my balance and falling! So one of you better get behind me to catch me!
Handing back my licence ......Sorry to have troubled you Sir we were just doing our job. You have a nice night!
The second time I was stopped walking down the street by the State Police! After driving by me several times they stopped, came over to me and asked if I'd had a little too much today? Too much what I asked. Too much to drink He said. No I've had a little too much Parkinson's Disease today I responded. I'm sorry He responded got into his car to drive away thanks for asking I shouted. He gave a weak wave and off he went.

So for Me yes I stagger, I slur my words like a drunk, feel off center my coordination is off but no I don't think cloudy or impaired. I think as sanely and rationally as when I'm not staggering or "acting drunk" which I'm not doing I'm exhibiting some of the behavior caused by the Neurological Disease that I happen to have.
Hope that helps clear up some of the confusion a bit. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By parkinit On 2010.05.24 11:55
LOHEN (Al?) -

I really appreciate your perspective. Your clarity of thought seems to be a bit better than my spouse's right now. He fought me tooth and nails about his driver's license and still holds me "accountable" for requesting it be removed. It's was a difficult thing for me to do. I'm glad you did it voluntarily. Even with family members brought in who "testified" that they've been scared to death and feared for their lives. Someone followed him home thinking he was having a seizure because he was "all over the road" and almost hit someone.

He still agues that he could drive.

By LOHENGR1N On 2010.05.24 16:22
parkinit, Yes it's Al :) The driving issue is a real stickler for many. I guess it's tied to independence? Many feel the privilege to drive has become a right to drive. I guess I'm lucky as it isn't THAT big a deal to Me. Yes you can go further and faster however I'm now not limited to the roads. I can try a shortcut, trip on roots, stumble off rocks, clamber over fences. All sorts of stuff for family and friends to worry about :). Plus now they don't know where to find me, I'm not on the roads anywhere. I think I'd better stop here I don't want to give my cohorts here too many new ideas. That would surely lessen your view of my perspective. Plus I've got to put the flowers I got from the greenhouse yesterday in their beds. (wink). Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By parkinit On 2010.05.24 18:16
Thanks, Al -

Yes, it is the independence, no doubt. Well, after falling 3 times in the last few days (we were in the emergency room just last night until 1:00 a.m. for a fall in the kitchen) - stitches in the elbow area - I believe my hubby is ready to acknowledge some of his limitations - grudgingly. I love him for being grudging about giving in, but it gives me grief as well.

He's my fighter and pain in the arse, at times, but I love him greatly!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you