For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic eye problems Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By karolinakitty On 2010.06.01 21:59
my guy is having some eye issues. I know that a detached retina can be a side effect of RequipXL. I have googled my fingers off to try and find the right "symptom" but have had no luck. Does anyone else have this particular issue?
I'll describe it as best as i can...
If you look at a picture of the eye, with all the blood vessels runing through it, make it transparent and place it over a picture, that is what my guy is seeing. He says it's as if he's looking through his own eye, but being able to see what he is looking at. Also, for awhile now he has had periods of seeing black, white or gray, instead of color.
Now he did have the TBI, and was tempoary blinded during his early damage. He eventually got his eye sight back, but is farsighted. Other than those issues he has had no other vision problems.
Like i said i have googled everything i could think of, and nothing stands out......

By lurkingforacure On 2010.06.01 22:56
I don't know but I would get to an eye doc but quick, and one who is experienced with PD and the effect it can have on vision. Most docs don't think PD affects vision but it does, the eye is a muscle, after all, and needs dopamine to function.

By LOHENGR1N On 2010.06.01 23:55
kk, I have a friend who had an eye test a couple of years ago I don't recall what the test was for but it's not important it was what She experienced that is. After a solution was administered She saw blood vessels crossing her field of vision. She asked the eye doctor what was going on? He replied, oh we all have them it's just that our brain sorts them out and ignores them. With the solution your sight is sending messages and the brain is having trouble interpreting or sorting out the signals.

While Lurking is correct eye problems are common with P.D. and many doctors don't know about this. It is not only because the eye is a muscle but also because our "sight" really takes place in our brain. As the eye gathers information and transmits this info back to the brain which then processes what we see. The brain sorts and ignores some signals or is "taught" to ignore some things.

Our eye has one lens so the information sent is then flipped over by our brain so we "see" right side up if the brain didn't do this we'd see everything upside down. With our Neural transmitters goofed up these messages are or can be misinterpreted or for lack of a better term our "filters" can be disengaged at times.

All this said Lurking is correct in you should get thee to the eye doctor post haste. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By Emma On 2010.06.02 07:21
I agree, eye doctor ASAP. If it's something structural in the eye, like a detached retina, the doctor will be able to tell right away. If it's not he/she should be able to explain why your husband is seeing these things. Good luck!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you