For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic What type of pain pill is best for PD patients? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By overwhelmedinFL On 2010.06.02 16:46
Mom finally had her oral surgery we have been putting off. She had 4 extractions and while in there he mentioned there may be more coming down the road.

She is a week post op tomorrow...is really weak..has not been taking pain pills since day two. He had written her apap-codiene 300-30mg.

We are not sure if she is loopy and tired from being put under ( he put her under but not totally...she was able to talk to him through the surgery) or if she is loopy and tired from the couple days of that pain killer.

Just as we were getting happy she got through without dry socket, she now has shooting pain. Where the pain it, I think it is a new tooth issue (like the doctor warned of).

The OTC stuff is not making her comfortable yet she doesnt want that codeine.

Does vicodin or any of those other drugs work better for PD pateints or are they all an issue?

I don't know what drug he used to put her under IV sedation and I will get that info tomorrow when they open.

I hate this for her...she lost most of her molars:( She may lose more. We are waiting until she heals to see if she wants to move forward with any partials or dentures.

Thanks for any input on the pain killers. I will be calling the doctor in the AM...right now mom is trying to deal with it and worst case scenario she can take that tylenol with codeine.

By Emma On 2010.06.02 20:43
Pain pills are an issue with Parkinson's and I know that there is a whole list of medications that are not recommended for PWP and a lot of people who will tell you no pain medication at all. Our neurologist works in concert with our pain doctor. Narcotics like vicadin and morphine can cause mobility problems, hallucinations, delusions and confusion. Those things are problems for anyone, but especially for people with Parkinson's. Even so, like everything else, it's very individual. My husband has extremely severe back pain. He has tried just about every pain medication ever invented. He used to get injections at a pain clinic but they ceased to be effective after about a year. Then he was on 800 mg. of Ibuprofen three times a day, which did nothing, then double strength vicadin for a while which caused no side effects at all but amazingly didn't touch his pain. Then he went on morphine which knocked the pain out but made him very confused and worsened his balance. This is the only medication he has tried that has had adverse side effects. The rest just simply didn't work. We are now getting ready to try a narcotic pain patch. I'm hoping that eventually we will find something that gives him an acceptable balance or compromise between the pain level and Parkinson's symptoms because the degree of pain that he has makes life unbearable for him. So I guess I really don't know what to tell you except to share our experience and wish you luck. Pain is a tricky problem and I know what you're going through.

By overwhelmedinFL On 2010.06.03 02:18
Emma...thanks for your feedback. I hope your DH finds relief soon. I cannot imagine being so lucky as to have PD and then chronic severe back pain on top of it. Some things just are not fair.

I am calling the doctor in the AM to see if the suggest trying another drug. I think her weakness etc is due to the sedation drugs still hanging around...I encourage her to drink lots of water and move as much as she can. We have upped the PT to aid her in getting strength back. Mom loves to shop so I am going to try to take her out as much as I can in the next couple weeks.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you