For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic so stressed...another fall Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By worriedaboutdad On 2010.06.02 22:53
The falls are coming more and more often now. Daddy fell this morning about 7:00 (in the house) and did not have his phone in his pocket. I feel so guilty because I have been so busy today running the kids here and there etc and hadn't checked on him. About 7:00 p.m. I realized that no one had seen him today and went to check. There he is in the floor. Been there for 12 hours while I went about my day. I don't know what to do!!! He refuses to wear one of those medic alert things and doesn't really want us "hanging around" all the time. I REALLY DON"T KNOW WHAT TO DO!

By LOHENGR1N On 2010.06.02 23:45
worried, have you thought about a service dog? They even train smaller dogs to be service dogs if you're worried about a large dog being too much to handle. A smaller dog won't do much to help stop the falling BUT it can have a cell phone in it's pack in case of situations like you describe. That way the dog will be with him, a phone will be within reach and they provide a companion throughout the day. Just a thought. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By overwhelmedinFL On 2010.06.03 02:23
I am so sorry. My mom was falling ALL THE TIME. She is in an assisted living with my step dad. They asked to go there.

My mom was falling more than all the other residents combined. I know my mom was still reeling from her loss of driving her car (she gave up keys on her own)......then nurses took away her electric chair because she was dangerous as can be with that thing.....so I was REALLY worried about mom's depression.. I had a counselor speak with her several times and I think mom is FINALLY getting to a point of being more accecpting of where she is in this insane disease..... She has stopped being so risky and has now fallen in over a month.

What makes me sad is that I think to a certain degree is that she may be giving up:(

hugs to you my friend

I do like the idea of a companion dog. Or what about a cell phone with a holster on his pants?

By Pearly4 On 2010.06.03 14:06
My mother lived with us -- we were here and there was no way to prevent the falls and I finally gave up. We never left her more than 45 minutes without an aid being present, she had a call button but never wore it or used it, and refused to make any compensation for her disabilities, preferred falling and her independence to giving in. Obviously we tried to prevent what we could but in the end, she simply lived with the bruises and bumps and so did we. Luckily she avoided serious injuries. It left us with some guilt but there wasn't much else that could be done besides admitting her to a nursing home where she would be restrained to bed or chair with alams to prevent her falling and made miserable by same!

By LibbyBuck On 2010.06.05 23:13
The falling is so stressful! I have found that the only time my PD patient falls is when we get complacent during a good week. There is ALWAYS someone here, we're lucky like that. But, no matter what, that one 5 minute period of time when someone has to take a call or make a meal or what-the-hell-ever has to happen is when you hear that heart breaking CRASH! A fall! You go find your loved on on the floor, confused, shook up and hopefully not injured, but yes - it's always a shock.

My cousin and I were here one night and bam, crash, boom, we find her face down on the floor. He felt guilty because he was on the phone with his brother - "I blame Skype" he said, "No! Blame Parkinson's that assh*le of a disease." We agreed that we wished it had never been invented! (Dry Dark Humor reins supreme) That's where the blame is, it's not your fault.

This is a tricky and confusing condition. I find it helpful to know that we are all doing the best we can and you cannot blame yourself for the issues that come with this. What I have learned is that you can only do your best to protect the person who has PD and take care of yourself, and that everyday is a new day.

Sending all of you Love love love.

By worriedaboutdad On 2010.06.05 23:46
You guys are so great!! It helps to feel the support. We had another fall and this time luckily he was able to get to his phone. I agree with the comment that he would rather fall than not be able to be mobile. He is so pitiful these days. He can barely eat and falls asleep in his food. The worst part is the swelling. His feet and legs are starting to blister and pop but he refuses to take anything for it.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you