For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Back pain and surgery Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By karolinakitty On 2010.06.03 06:53
we had a discussion last evening as a hellacious storm layed on top of us. Out here in the boonies we shut off everything, computers, tv, cause our power usually goes out in the big ones.

We were discussing the condition of his back and surgery.

Now we know the maddening risks of surgery for a PD'r, but has anyone had successful back surgery? Was there or is there any real effort in even trying? I am fond of chiropractors, and was thinking an alignment might help, but is that too even worth the effort? Walking is about the most excercise we get and even now he has to come in and put the feet up due to leg swelling. He is physical, in the sense that he keeps very busy all day long with the puttering, working in his shop and then going down to the dock, sitting on the boat, with feet up and fishing.

I've read about physical therapy and i know this wouldn't work as he would not follow a regiment of excercise.

He feels there is a possiblity of bad discs and poor alignment due to his work history and the beating he took 12 years ago. Those of us in the food service world probably have some of the worse backs. I myself have problems still even though i haven't worked in almost 2 years. In large kitchens you are usually lifting 50lb cases of stuff all day long, plus standing over counters and work spaces not at all back friendly. Up until just a few years ago cement floors, without comfort mats were the norm, so us long term folks really got the hurt on.
Any and all feelings on this are welcome. We see the movement doc in July and are going to ask some questions there.

While my guy is not a candidate for DBS, again due to his brain trauma, is it just for tremors or does it help with cognition too???

thanx all .......

By packerman On 2010.06.03 10:25
chiropractic adjustments help my hubby a lot.

DBS will help with tremors, but not freezing or cognition.
yahoo groups has a DBS forum you can check out.

Pat

By Pearly4 On 2010.06.03 14:03
My mother had back surgery the first of her five years with us. There's the usual difficult recovery and if you do it, make sure you take advantage of their "rehab facilities" -- don't bring him home and expect it to go smoothly! She was in rehab for three weeks for physitcal therapy, etc. and we had three weeks for respite! She had narrowing, entrapment of the sciatic nerve, a "slipped disc" that was repaired and the nerve released. She had fairly good resolution of the pain but as with most things, her pain was from multiple levels and only partially relieved by surgery. She had a year of pain clinic visits and injections into the spine for pain control, medications, etc. afterwards. Eventually, with meds, the pain was controled, but not totally relieved ever. We never tried chiro stuff.

By Emma On 2010.06.03 14:37
My husband has had back problems for years, predating the Parkinson's. He had one back surgery several years ago, before PD and that went well. He had another surgery for spinal stenosis within a year of being diagnosed with Parkinson's. There was no choice but to do the surgery because he collapsed on the floor and couldn't get up or move. I had to call an ambulance. That surgery went well and helped him a lot except that the recovery and rehabilitation was supposed to be 6 weeks and it ended up being three months. It was much more difficult for him than the average patient because of the PD. I ended up taking that three months off work and doing round the clock care. Never again. Now he has multiple severe problems with his back and the recommendation from the nerosurgeon is to have a spinal fusion done. We are trying to avoid that at all costs because his Parkinson's is much more advanced. None of his doctors (except the neurosurgeon) think he should do it. The rehabilitation and recovery time for that surgery is one year. Having PD it would be even longer. I wouldn't be able to do it at home so that means several months, at least, of nursing home care. We think that at this point in his disease a year of his life is too much to give up, especially if the majority of it has to be spent in a nursing home. That's why we keep farting around with pain medications. So, I guess it depends on how disabling the pain is for your husband and how much care you can do afterwards. After our experience I would strongly encourage you to use a rehab or nursing facility for the recovery, it's very very difficult. You should also know that back pain never really goes away, the goal with surgery or medication is to keep it at a tolerable level. Good luck whatever you decide.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you