For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Sudden Progression Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Nadinesdaughter On 2010.06.14 12:32
My grandmother has had very slowly progressing PD for about 10 years now and has lived alone (according to her wishes) up until now. In the last 6 weeks she has suddenly progressed and is in a horrible state. She's in the hospital for the third time. She has gotten so bad that she can't hardly eat, is incredibley anxious all the time and so of course can't sleep, can barely walk with a walker and assistance, and the only thing she can say is that she wants to die. My husbands grandmother had PD years ago and so I knew what to eventually expect but my entire family is shocked and scrambling to deal with this sudden progression in symptoms. Is this normal? Has anyone else out there dealt with this? We all thought that we had more time to prepare and more importantly, more time with our grandmother. She's being transferred from the hospital directly to a skilled nursing facility today. Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

By RhondaM On 2010.06.14 14:48
Could she have developed a urinary tract infection (UTI)? My dad took a sudden turn for the worse back in 2001 and that was the cause, and it took all summer, a couple of hospitalizations and 30 days in a nursing home to get him back to the way he was prior to that. They can really play havoc with PD and make a person really sick really fast. I'm sure the hospital checked for that in your grandmother. Don't despair, she may improve again, my dad went up and down like a roller coaster for the next two years after that bad summer, and then passed away from aspiration pneumonia (as a result of swallowing difficulties related to PD) in May 2003.

By lvmymom On 2010.06.18 09:43
I agree with Rhonda - check for bladder infection...

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you