For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic PD verses Agent Orange induced PD Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Lotsapies On 2010.07.15 15:56
Does anybody know if there is a difference between the two.
I also follow this site with my wife (lotsofpies). I am really having a hard time coping with all this. My wife has been fantastic putting up with me.
I was exposed to agent orange while serving with the navy in Vietnam. I have always been active. I've coached youth baseball, softball and soccer. Now I can't even walk from one end of the house to the other without problems. I've been through the gambit of falling, siesures, crying and embarassment. I don't like going out in public anymore so that leaves my wife to do just about everything plus work full time. Last week I told my wife that I am going to try to be up beat about all this. I've always had a good sense of humor so I have decided to make light of my problem. I am not going to let it get the best of me. I have always told my wife that " I am Navy Trained" and I can do anything. So I'll leave it here for now.

By Michele On 2010.07.15 16:22
Lotsapies Hubby, I don't know if there is a difference between the two. I just wanted to commend you in your effort to be positive. It's all about quality of life and what you two have together now. Every day is a gift because we don't know what tomorrow will bring. My husband has a similar experience to yours. He was very active - got his black belt in Tae kwon do in his late forties. Now at 68 there is very little he can do for himself. He needs a power chair just to get around the house. Every opportunity for affection and emotional intimacy is precious for us. I'm glad you both found us at the forum. You can always just leave it here. There are so many of us and we all help each other by asking and answering.

By Emma On 2010.07.15 18:40
Mr. Lotsapies, I don't know either if there is a difference between Agent Orange induced Parkinson's and other Parkinson's but it's a good question. I do know that the VA is now acknowledging that Agent Orange was also used near the DMZ in Korea in the late sixties. My husband was stationed there at that time so of course I am now wondering if that is what caused his PD.

Bravo to you for trying to stay upbeat and positve. If you can do that it will make things better and easier for both you and your wife.

Hugs to both of you!

By karolinakitty On 2010.07.15 21:34
Lotsapies .... I recently jumped into this reading as much as i could and from everything i have read (online), it is just like any other PD.
The chemicals used to killed the brush and plants in Vietnam, either by plane or by soldiers on the ground, they feel cause heart problems as well as Parkinson's Disease. Now they are not saying they believe 100% that it is related, but the IOM suggests it does.
I have not been able to find the exact report, but from what i've read, it is the chemicals in Agent Orange that are causing these issues.
That said, there are many reports on the causes of PD, age, brain truama, chemicals and "it just happens". Exposure to any high levels of certain chemicals seems to be a definite factor in PD. THe chemicals affect the dopamine levels causing them to be depleted and thus the PD.
It's sad to say, but since every case of PD is so different from the other, i guess it not only depends on what originally caused the dopamine levels to fall, but also what your own chemical make up is as to the degree or stage of PD your are in and how fast this disease may take over your body.
Since you were in the navy, you might find this interesting.
Go to this link:
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/fight-science/all/Videos/05102_00#tab-Videos/05102_00

It is a story done by the national geographic channel.(a friend clued me into this.)
THere are several videos and i forget exactly which one it is, they are all interesting,but you will see the Navy is altering the dopamine levels, during training for the navy seals.

Now in my opinion, and i am not a doctor, that might have some serious future health issues for our Service men.

By anidaholady On 2010.07.15 22:43
Lotsapies -
In October, 2009 the secretary of Veterans Affairs announced that the VA would be adding 3 new diseases to the list of "presumed" diseases related to exposure to Agent Orange: B cell leukemias, Parkinson’s disease and ischemic heart disease.

http://www1.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=1796

The press release states: In practical terms, Veterans who served in Vietnam during the war and who have a “presumed” illness don’t have to prove an association between their illnesses and their military service. This “presumption” simplifies and speeds up the application process for benefits.

However, this ruling was challenged in Congress, and is currently undergoing further review. The new regulation that was proposed in March, and due to be finalized sometime this year, doesn’t make it quite so simple.

http://www1.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=1876

The secretary now says that veterans must prove exposure caused their illnesses, and claims will be looked at individually rather than just “presumed”, as was the first intent when the secretary made his ruling last year. In any event, the VA web page says that you should go ahead and file a claim now, so that the VA can develop your claim and process it when the regulations have become final.

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/

Hope this helps!
Barb

By LOHENGR1N On 2010.07.16 00:23
Mr. S. I don't know either what if any difference there is to Us the layman. To the Neurologists and researchers they would call it "a form of parkinsonism" because they suspect or know the cause however to the patients, it doesn't seem to matter really because as of now they are progressive and still have no cure. I guess it's a matter of cause for now.

I know what you mean about the going out. We are our own worse enemies, not only is it a case of being embarrassed or self conscious about being out but when at our worse it's a struggle trying to maintain. Add to this the stress of being around other people who haven't a clue or if they do they still really can't understand and well you've got a mixture able to cause an doozie of an anxiety attack (making matters still worse). However We still should try to get out. Going to a park with plenty of benches and lunch from a drive-thru might be nice. And yes a sense of humor is great weapon in our battle! We just have to remember many will not understand some of our humor. I have a friend I used to work with who has P.D. also. We used to joke around a lot, He has progressed faster and further than I and we don't see each other as much anymore but we used to call each other around the holidays and joke about joining the salvation army as tambourine players. And lots of laughing at each others antics fishing. Warped humor. (I've reserved some of it as not to offend. Shoot me an email if you're bored and I'll give you some other ideas! lol).

Back to the getting out. A bit ago we had a thread talking about us being down and it being a bad month. I was thinking about that as it seems spring and early summer are hard times adjusting for me. With the winter we don't go out and do things like we'd like in the summer. In my case as in some others I think spring makes us see how we progressed over the winter. Every spring I can't do as much as the year before. I lose sight of this being more dormant during winter. But in nice weather I want to go out and plant, rake, dig you know things I did and enjoyed. With reality hitting me in the face I find I can't do as much or for as long. Side tracked in winter I'm idle, the disease is not. Spring I find that out and overlooking that fact I'm stunned at the loss. It's a grieving I'm going through but at the time I'm trying to figure out what the heck? So yes it's important we get out even if it's to put up a bird feeder and lug the seed out everyday to fill it. Something to do. We don't have to go out to a mall or theater with crowds, just get out. As with a bird feeder we don't have to call the neighborhood and tell them we're going to fill it .....just go fill it. Ok I'm done preaching for now I'll get off my soap box. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By Lotsapies On 2010.07.16 13:12
Thanks for the info and encouragement. Much appricated.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you