For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Hydration? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By anidaholady On 2010.07.25 13:09
I've seen a couple of posts where Al has warned of the definite need for Parkinson's patients to be careul to hydrate when it's warm. Al, can you give me some specific comments that I can relay to my husband? He seems not to believe me that hydration could be a big part of the reason for his symptoms being less tolerable right now. I would appreciate words of wisdom that he might identify with. Specifcally in what ways do symtpoms get worse? (lethargy is an obvious one to me!) All help is appreciated!
Barb

By rmshea On 2010.07.25 14:55
I am having a very hard time convincing MIL that she cannot depend on 'feeling' thirsty or hot to do something about it. Her a/c is broken and I didn't find out til yesterday. It was 90 in her apt. and she could hardly walk. I brought her home to sleep here; we have central air. She slept for 12 hrs straight; I was afraid to check on her. She got mad at me when I was handing her any liquid I could find yesterday and making her drink it. I'd appreciate hearing from Al on this one too, although I've read enough posts to know MIL was not just 'having a bad day'.

By LOHENGR1N On 2010.07.25 15:39
Barb and rm, Hi, (Al waves through the window.......trapped inside the bowels of his home surrounded by the A/C.....not wandering far from the toilet, passing liquids through his body somewhat like a fish passing water through it's gills). Ok enough fun!

Yes! We have to keep hydrated! Feeling thirsty isn't good in hot weather we have to drink even if we don't feel thirsty. Thirst is our bodies telling us we're already dehydrated. When we're dehydrated all our symptoms can intensify. Not only lethargy but tremors, external and internal (feeling uneasy like being nervous, jittery. you know like something's wrong or not quite right). It can seem more of an effort to do anything. Lightheadedness, dizzy, thought processes, disorientation, just everything. I've said before the "experts" warn to limit exercise to early morning or late evening during hot spells. However We can't really do that when the disease we have is likened to moderate exercise just moving and breathing.

I increase my salt intake also however others might have medical conditions where they might not be advised to. I'd run that by a MOVEMENT disorder doctor or NEUROLOGIST, as a primary doctor might not be familiar with our sweating and the strain of movement on us.

There are many sport drinks now that have electrolytes and such to hydrate. A little tip on these, Dilute them! Years ago I used to do long distance running, a hobby not a racer lol. When over heated our bodies cannot absorb or process these drinks and they stress us more than help in those cases so if diluted at lest half drink and half water we can benefit better from them. A little hint on signs of dehydration, the skin on the back of the hand. If you pinch it together with thumb and forefinger it should return back to normal rather quickly if not drink some liquids. As long as it does return to normal I wouldn't panic as with age the skin loses elasticity normally. I hope this helps, just remember if in doubt call the doctor or hospital. I'm not a medical professional nor qualified to dispense medical advice.

Stay cool, drink liquids. Take care, best of luck and hang in there!

By karolinakitty On 2010.07.25 15:43
I'm not Al, but have found out through our PCP that dehydration can be harmful to the normal person but severe for the PWP.
He said not a lot of water but told my guy to drink Gatorade as it replenishes the electrolytes water washes away.
Because the PWP is in constant motion and uses more of their body more of the day, outside activity should be limited especially with the heat that seems to be gripping us right now. Hallucinations are possible.
Renal failure another possible
Swelling of legs.
Slower then normal movements.

The biggest thing to stress to your PDr is that because their brain doesn't tell them they are not hot nor thirsty, they should keep a lot of fluids in them, regardless of whether they have to go to the bathroom 100 times a day.
It's tough I know, keeping my guy hydrated and out of the elements is hard to do because he loves the outdoors so much and before PD he hardly broke a sweat in 90* heat. Now he sweats like crazy and has to be so careful because his legs swell up like balloons.

By anidaholady On 2010.07.26 07:00
Thanks Al and KK. I'll keep those messages and try to work your thoughts into conversation. Funny thing is that he really does know it is important to hydrate when outdoors or exercising in the heat, but somehow it takes a back seat now just because he doensn't remember, or doesn't "feel like drinking", which I don't understand. Thanks for the help.
Barb

By LOHENGR1N On 2010.07.26 08:35
Barb, just a quick thought. The heat might be kicking the tar out of your husband. So the drinking taking a back seat now might not be remembering or not feeling like drinking, it might be a case of expending the energy to drink. Or I'll get a drink in a little bit when I feel better? Just a thought. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By rmshea On 2010.07.26 23:06
OK..my MIL has always been a baby, a spoiled baby. She is pulling this stuff now with the drinking/hydrating and taking care of her Parkinsons. She actually LIKES it when I get in her face about her lack of cooperation. She got in my car today, never told me how badly she was feeling, and then collapsed in the parking lot, but I caught her. I put her back in the car and told her to drink; she takes a sip..I put her in a wheelchair to wheel her back to the apt. She got mad, said she could walk...I said like heck you can. Her bp was in the basement...I did all I could and she wouldn't drink consistently and I had to keep after her to keep her feet up and she gave me grief the whole time. Next time, I'm calling 911 and they can hydrate her at the ER. She played me this way after her heart surgery and she's doing it again. I am going to interview people to babysit her for 5 hrs a day. I found out I've had mono since March and now macular degeneration but everyone expects ME to take care of her...She has always been passive aggressive..her answer to everything is "Oh really?" I appreciate being able to say the truth without you all judging...but when a difficult person gets Parkinsons, they are still a pain in the butt. Where do you go from there except to extricate yourself, emotionally detach but still manage their care?

By Emma On 2010.07.27 05:43
rmshea, Oh boy, I hear you loud and clear. My life has been filled with difficult people and it takes a toll. My mother was mentally ill and then got Alzheimers ... talk about a horror movie, and my husband has always been selfish and demanding. Right now I'm also dealing with an aunt who has Alzheimers and her a**hole husband who thinks I can drop everything and drive an hour and a half one way to visit them a couple of times a month. Once he called me to come over and walk their dog because he was too tired to do it. It really does seem that a person's basic personality is exagerated when they get older and sick. It can wear you down.

You are doing exactly the right thing by getting someone to come in and take over some of her care. You can't do it all and you shouldn't have to. You deserve to have a life and you have your own health issues that you need to take care of. You need to rest and free yourself of the stress of caring for your MIL. You are also right in thinking that you have to distance yourself emotionally, as hard as that is. You have to harden your heart a little bit and persevere in doing what you know is right, what is best for her AND what is best for you.

Hang in there.

By anidaholady On 2010.07.27 07:16
Al - I think you are right about "I'll take a drink when I feel better" - at least that's exactly the way it was last week. Might be a LITTLE better this week, but that could be because it's not quite so hot and he feels better! :) Good grief. Since I'm hearing that Parkinson's only makes stubborn people get more stubborn, it sounds like a never-ending battle. Thanks for the input everybody.
Barb

By rmshea On 2010.07.27 08:26
Thank you Emma...sometimes we know the right way to go, but are a bit too close. And I think a caregiver tends to get sucked into the other person's tornado of need(emotional and physical) losing themselves in the process. We can't be of any use if we are flattened. So tough love it is....the rest of the family equates love with giving in to every whim/fancy, the Bible says love meets the NEED of others. I should be used to the life of a salmon, always fighting upstream against prevailing beliefs and values..

By lurkingforacure On 2010.07.27 20:10
rmshea, I second what emma said....got the same situation but different at the same time (not my husband with PD, thank heavens, but family). What I have learned is that yes, when we get old our personalities exacerbate...meaning, in my experience, miserly get obsessed with money, kind folk become more kind, it goes both ways. I also am learning that older people really do become more selfish (hard to believe, if someone was already selfish to begin with, age makes them even more so, more fun to deal with) and the way to handle that is the way you would handle a little kid: tough love and time out, which for adults translates into: time away from them. I have found that even if they don't get it when you implement this tactic, doing so spares you from being around them, thereby reducing your stress load. You sound like you need that. Some relationships are simply toxic and people fail to recognize that at their peril.

You are smart to get a sitter. Now be smart and get your own health issues under control before you need a sitter yourself!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you