For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic DBS Consultation Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By gap2010 On 2010.07.26 21:39
Well, we go to a neurosurgeon this Thursday morning to talk about possibly having the Deep Brain Stimulation surgery done for my husband. Shirley shared her experience that her husband has had. Anyone else willing to share? Questions I should ask this surgeon when we go? thanks so much!
Gwen

By lurkingforacure On 2010.07.27 20:00
There is a Yahoo group specifically consisting of folks considering DBS, who have had DBS, are going to have DBS, etc., I think there are close to a thousand members there. If we were looking at DBS, which we may be at some point, I'd definitely spend some time reading through all that.

Our understanding is that the best you can get from DBS is your best "on" time with sinemet. Also, it appears to help tremor-dominant PDers more than those who are predominantly rigid. I have no idea how one tells the difference, that's just what I've read.

By parkinit On 2010.07.27 20:48
My husband had DBS. Don't let them fool you into thinking that it works just as well for the rigidity type PD versus the shaking type. My hubby has the rigidity and it is very hard to manage the DBS with the rigidity. It is better to do DBS earlier stages rather than later stages, which is what is was recommended for us initially, but they are finding that this is not necessarily true.

With that said, I hear that DBS is quite successful for the trembling type of PD.

By packerman On 2010.07.28 12:27
my hubby posts to the yahoo group as well.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you