For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Physical Therapist with PD Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By shakingpt On 2010.07.29 06:30
I was diagnosed with PD 7 years ago. Right now I am medication controlled but slowly getting worse and I do see an end to my ability to treat patients as time goes on here. I still want to stay active in my profession and help those with PD.
Is anyone interested in my being a resource to answer questions on strengthening exercises, balance exercises, activities of daily living and ambulation?

By packerman On 2010.07.29 09:36
absolutely!! and welcome to the forum!

my hubby just had his first session with the PT to help with balance and gait. he seemed to get a lot out of it. they told him strength training will come later.

i need to buy an exercise ball and a small balance ball so he can practice at home.
anything else you would recommend?

Pat

By shakingpt On 2010.07.29 21:42
Thank you. I am glad to have found this forum as I know that it will help me also.
The exercise ball and the balance ball are essential items I feel as they will indeed help with core strengthening. Core strengthening teaches your muscles from the trunk to work together. The muscles of the trunk are what help to increase and maintain balance. Core strengthening is followed by strengthening of the arms and legs although they can be done together. You may want to ask about rhythmic stabilization exercises that you can help your husband with at home. Good luck to you and your husband. Let me know how he's progressing!

By LOHENGR1N On 2010.07.29 23:43
shakingpd, Welcome to the forum.You are in a very advantageous position regarding staying active in your profession and helping those with P.D.. As you are right now medically controlled but getting worse you can relay to other Physical Therapists just how much difference We go through in "off times" versus "on time" with medication. You can from both a Professional and Patient's view better explain and show in the terms of the profession how much difference it really does make and the importance of scheduling appointment at the times we are benefiting most from our medicine. Given a understanding of these fluctuations, not daily but several times a day and the struggles we have in off times. By relaying this valuable information to colleagues, You can help all involved to better understand our needs. Not just at therapy but at home to, as we try these exercises we should do them when we're "on" otherwise we risk injury to ourselves and caregivers trying to assist. When in the midst of dystonia or dyskinesia it isn't possible to control no matter how much training we've given the muscles. Nor is it a lack of interest or laziness if one doesn't want to do them in off time as it takes much more energy to move and many have trouble relating this to those helping. Again welcome to the forum. Take care best of luck and hang in there.

By Emma On 2010.07.30 05:58
shakingpt, We're glad you are joining us, welcome. My nephew is currently studying to be a Physical Therapist and he asks his uncle a lot of questions, which I think is great.

My husband had a PT coming to the house to work with him last year. The biggest problem we had was that after a short time he stopped practicing what she taught him. We had the same problem with speech therapy. I don't think that had anything to do with his Parkinson's, he's just like many of us who listen to our health care professional, do what they say for a little while and then let it slide. The one thing I did notice with both PT and OT was that they would give my husband multi-step instructions. He has dementia and gets confused by more than one step, maybe two on a good day. At this point he is having trouble remembering how to use his U-Step walker.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. I for one will be happy to answer any questions that you have.

By shakingpt On 2010.07.30 08:30
Thank you LOHENGRIN. I have some very special co workers that understand and support me. They have seen my off times and will not think twice bout assisting if I ask for it.
I was once taping a patients knee as I approached my off time. As I was leaning against the treatment table in the gym area, my leg started to shake. The patient asked of there was a basement in the building as heavy machinery must have been operating the building just below us as he could feel the ground shaking. I told him yeah I could feel it too. In the meantime my co workers were laughing hysterically.

By shakingpt On 2010.07.30 08:32
Emma Good Luck to your nephew. PT has been a grreat career for me. I hope he makes it !!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you