For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic I'm not a researcher (at least not professionally) Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By karolinakitty On 2010.08.01 15:39
OK . I'm not a researcher nor a chemist, pharmacist,doctor or any of that stuff. I am curious ( and we know what that did to the cat), but here's my thoughts:

In reading about all the drugs related to PD, YOPD, and Plus diseases, other then DBS, all the treatments or drugs are taken orally. These drugs can cause serious stomach issues, ya'll know, with proteins etc. So why hasn't anyone come up with an injectable version of, let's say, Requip? OR as in some cancer treatments they put a thingy under the skin that allows meds to go right to the bloodstream.
They could put a thingy (please excuse the technical terms), under the skin near the brain where the dopamine is depleted, inject it with Ldopa, and Presto! Drug goes to brain sooner and lasts longer.

Am I being to simple? I know there are more adverse effects then the stomach issues, but, you would think with all the research done, why they haven't looked more into that OR am i missing something?

Of course, i do have a conspiracy theory on drug companies and research. I won't go into that as not to offend anyone, but i have to wonder.

Now i'm not saying they do a labotomy and go backwards in the realm of medicine. Insulin is one good example of how a drug can work, through the veins and gets to where it needs to be in a better time frame. I myself hate needles, but had to give injections both to mom and gram, as a caregiver, for they both were diabetic. However, if it works better and lasts longer, why not?

On to another issue .....

I also was reading more on Lewy Body Disease and found this thing called anterograde amnesia. While reading up on this, it seems that they found that positive and negative responses go a long way in regards to compulsive behaviors.
The most common are compulsions for gambling, sex, shopping, food, eating, or even hobbies. THey say people exhibit “punding,” or repetitive, purposeless behaviors such as sorting objects. A lot of the time the compulsion involves a behavior the person used to enjoy as a small hobby.
We all know about punishment and reward. They have come to find PWP,not taking dopamine based drugs, tend to learn better by punishment then by reward.However on dopamine drugs they do better with the rewards for good behaviors, then punishment for bad. They did this research on YOPDrs not taking any meds at that point, yet daignosed with the disease. In older studies, an older age group was used, but they were well into the disease, along with having cognitive issues and mood disorders. So basically, they feel the need to not just stress making the physical symptoms easier to maintain life, but to really take a look at the cognitive issues and the behaviors before and after dopamine drugs are used.
Soooooo ... if we as caregivers can learn HOW to react when these behaviors come apparent, then we can get the postive response from the LO instead of the negative responses some get.
Maybe nothing new to some of you, but to me it shed a lot of light on the subject.
This study was done in Hungary, and there's a lot more to it then i posted but I didn't want to put everyone to sleep..........

By Michele On 2010.08.01 16:19
Hi KK, I had the same thought that you did about getting meds into PWP in a better way. A drug company did come up with a patch to deliver a medication but I believe it was for early or mild stages of PD. I just read in a PD newsletter that this patch was off the market for a time (forget why) and was just reintroduced. I hope that researchers can continue along these lines with easier ways to administer meds. My poor husband has so much trouble getting pills down some days, I crush, cut, put in apple sauce, you name it, and he still has trouble at times. I always look forward to your posts. Keep on posting. I'll try to find the info on the patch delivery medication.

By shirley On 2010.08.01 17:28
Hi Michelle & KK, My husband was on Neupro patch for a while but they recalled all the patches and haven't come back out with a replacement.

There is an experimental pump delivery system similar to an insulin pump that is being tested in trials now. It has already been approved in Europe.....but still in the trial stage here.

By LOHENGR1N On 2010.08.01 20:29
They tried a pump system here several years ago for the carba/L-dopa but then abandoned it, I forgot the reason I don't think it hit the market but it was in the final testing on patients.

The Substantia nigra is the area of the brain that produces dopamine, it is "deep" brain located just above the brain stem, which is why they don't as of yet try to operate on in. Think tootsie roll pop, it would be inside a tiny dot above the stick, surrounded by everything.
Caregiven, please limit KK's viewing of Star trek the next generation and Voyager!!! Gosh, a thingy, dohicky or thing-a-ma-jig in our head? We are Borg, you will be assimilated. lol. Watch it KK or no ice cream for you. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By karolinakitty On 2010.08.01 21:34
I absolutely NEVER watch any of those Al. BUT give me a good forensics show or criminal minds and i'm there !!!!!
No Ice Cream, no meds ;)

By Michele On 2010.08.02 17:24
Hi Shirley, How did the neuro patch work for your husband? Was he in early stages of PD or further on? I just googled it and found that it won't be reintroduced into the U.S. for another two years.

By shirley On 2010.08.02 22:18
Michelle, The neuro patch seemed to work pretty well for him and he had used it for about 2 years. He has had parkinson's for about 12 years and this was probably three or four years ago. He actually had gotten along very well until this past October when he had a fall. That really kicked the parkinson's into taking off and he has a lot of difficulty now. He's taking the stalevo 150mg now every three hours. Even so his symptoms are progressing quite rapidly and just in the past 8 months he's lost 40lbs.

By LOHENGR1N On 2010.08.02 23:52
shirley, If you haven't read it yet please checkout the post more to be considered. It might be worth running by the Doctor? With the increased symptoms plus the weight loss the medicine could be too much now? It's worth consideration anyway and can't hurt to run it by the Doc. As with most of our medicine the side effects are sometimes tough to distinguish from the disease. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you