For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Latest I've heard on PD, agent orange and VA Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By LOHENGR1N On 2010.08.07 00:16
I received email today from Parkinson's Action Network I'm passing it on, To paraphrase;

On March 25, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) issued a proposed rule that added Parkinson's disease to the list of health problems found to be related to Agent Orange.
The March 25 proposed rule would grant a 100% disability rating for Parkinson's disease, as well as retroactive veteran and survivor payments for qualifying veterans.

The final regulations were supposed to be published June 23rd the VA missed the deadline saying it was under review and was taken to court by several Veteran's org's claiming VA was delaying benefits. On Aug. 2 the Court agreed with Veterans and final rule must be issued by Sept.1 . Even if published by then it probably will take another couple months to take effect, as Senator Jim Webb (D - Virginia) passed an amendment invoking a 60 day review period and has scheduled the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee to hold a meeting on Sept 23 to review the rule.

Apply for Benefits Now

Vietnam veterans with Parkinson's are strongly encouraged to submit their applications for compensation now - even before the rule is made final. Vietnam veterans and survivors who file a claim before VA publishes the final rule will be eligible for benefits retroactive to the date their claim is filed. For more information about applying for VA benefits and Agent Orange, visit the VA Web site. http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exsposures/agentorange/benefits.asp

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you