For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Freezing other times Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By janol On 2010.10.15 20:45
Hi, I am "new" here, and have been reading a lot of your posts. I don't type, so efforts are short.

My hubby has PD and probably has had it for 7 years. Is also diabetic, and bipolar. Has been on many meds.
He has the rigidity, and exhaustion, so much that he sleeps allllll the time.

My question is do any of your people have a "freeze" while just sitting in a chair as well as when walking? At times he just freezes while talking, or eating, and just stares into space. Is this common?

Thanks so much !! I really have learned a lot !
Jan

By LOHENGR1N On 2010.10.15 22:56
janol, Yes I sometimes freeze watching TV. I will go to move and it's like my feet are glued to the floor. I live alone so I'm not sure how long I'm frozen as I don't know when it'll happen I haven't looked at a clock and then said wow I lost some time there. I told my neurologist about it and he said it's a form of freezing. I guess it's fairly common as my neuro didn't seem surprised by it, just nonchalantly said it was freezing. Hope it helped, sorry I can't tell you more. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By Reflection On 2010.10.16 08:35
Dear Janol - consider your husband's medications. My husband for a time took a high dose of Requip - and had frequent "freezes" of the type you describe. Almost narcolepsy - he'd be watching TV with a plate of food on his lap, and he'd doze off, the plate would start slipping. This would happen several times an hour.
Getting off requip (a dopamine agonist) greatly reduced this. He still has what they call "excessive daytime somulance" - sleepy in the daytime - but not the short-term nodding off.
Everyone reacts to these medications differently, but one lesson I wished I had learned earlier is that sometimes the symptom is a side effect of medication, not the parkinson's itself. While most folks with Parkinson's need medication, a different mix of medications can significantly reduce bad side effects.

By karolinakitty On 2010.10.16 12:24
Yes... My guy freezes like Al, can't get up from the chair like he's frozen to the ground and other freezing episodes. He does take Requip, has the narcolepsy, but the freezing episodes are few and far between now since he went on ReauipXL.
There is a drug called amantadine which helps with the freezing, we decided to go against taking it as it the side effects would only add to the troubles, and we figured it wasn't worth it.
I would also check to see what meds he is taking for bi-polar. There are many of these drugs that cause parkinsonian symptoms, and adjusting those may help you too.

By Lotsapies On 2010.10.16 18:06
Janol
This what has happened to my husband. The neuro gave him Keppra 1325 mg 2x day and said they were petite mal seizures. this dosage seems to do the trick for us.

By Cindy Bystricky On 2010.10.21 13:12
Lotsapies, I am interested in the seizures you spoke about. My husband (17yrs.w/PD) has started having something very similiar. We went to our neurologist Monday and they ordered EEG and MRI. We won't got back until Monday week. I noticed the first "spell" in April at the grocery store. I thought he was having a stroke and took him to ER. They did CT scan, everything was fine. He started having them more and more recently. Sometimes 2 or 3 per day! When I read your post I looked up mal seizure and found our "spell" is exactly like what they describe! Except for one thing, his mouth is open and relaxed the whole time. Tongue almost hanging out. But I wondered if you might elaborate on how your husband started these seizures and what exactly happens during one. Another thing, when my husband goes limp, he is going down! If he is sitting, he may nose dive out of the chair, or if standing, he is like a tree falling in the forest! Thank you for your info,Lotsapies!( I sure like that name!!) I love pie!!!

By Lotsapies On 2010.10.21 19:15
Cyndy-It seems there was a progression to the seizures. At the begginning they happened right after a severe freezing episode when my hubby would try to push himself out of a sitting position to stand up. They lasted from a minute to 5 minutes. They were very scary. He would also drool alot. As he came out of it he was unable to form words to speak. They then happened when he was standing-he would be talking, turn to leave the room and it would occur. These were bad because he would be standing up and I would have to try and get him to get to a chair and sit down and he would not bend. Bob had the scans and found nothing wrong there either. Also when these happens he sometimes tries to get up like sleep walking. Email me if you'd like bsscottus@yahoo.com. Hope this helps-by the way the pies are from our restaurants and my specialties!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you