For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Shock Treatments?????? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By karolinakitty On 2010.10.26 20:18
Yesterday afternoon was a very interesting one. We had some storms in the area and were confined to our areas. He in his shop and me in the house with the dogs. I was doing laundry and cleaning, ya know normal stuff. The rain and clouds cleared up, when all of a sudden BANG... the loudest hit of lightning i had heard in my life. Now living in SC, we get some real bangers and living in the woods you hear trees falling and the like. I know it hit close by as i felt the reverberation in my feet.
A few minutes later my guy comes in and shows me his hand. But first i notice he's walking straight and upright, he was holding a piece of pipe he was going to work on when this happen and it "shocked" him and went through his body. We found no "out" spot, but his hand was scorched and still is today.
I noticed his eyes were open, as most times he squints and can't open his eyes all the way. For the next hour or so he was moving freely, no tremors (although his are slight), eyes focused, he could move them up and down, and side to side and said he felt "normal".
Now i know DBS is a "shock treatment" of sorts, but i wonder if it is in the right place. I say this because from what i have read, DBS only helps certain patients and controls only certain things.
Any opinions......
Any comments......
Do you think he should see the doc or at least call him about this?
I can't say he was "struck" by lightning but the current certainly went through our property as i felt it too.....

By lurkingforacure On 2010.10.26 21:45
I don't have answers to your questions but I can share that I have read of PWP improving, sometimes for hours, when they are physically vibrated such as by riding a horse, bike riding, or even sitting in a gamer's chair. There are some really expensive chairs you can buy that will "vibrate" you at various frequencies! You can go to neurotalk, another forum, and search the PD forum to read about it. No one really understands why DBS works or even how it actually works, but there is no denying that for some, it really does work. I would like to learn more myself but there are just so many hours in the day. I think if you googled "PD and vibration" you could get a pretty good idea of this therapy.

By worriedaboutdad On 2010.10.26 23:02
My Daddy had ECT (electroconvulsive shock treatment). Google it. Quite interesting. Let me know if you want more info.

By LOHENGR1N On 2010.10.27 00:32
Before we rush back into the barbaric halls of the cuckoo's nest. Yes a mental hospital will give shock treatment! I looked it up and the only ones seemingly preaching the virtues of such were those performing this act. Many others (the Mayo Clinic for one) caution it's use especially upon those with dementia. With this disease sudden shock (not only the electrical kind) will kind of cause the patient's body to reset, but the disease isn't eradicated. There is a reason DBS doesn't just overload the brain with electric current because of the unknown damage it can do to the brain, then it's too late. Many years ago when I was welding my lead became tangled, I flipped up my hood and pulled the lead to free it. As I pulled, my wrist turned and the tip of the welding rod touched my forehead. I was sitting on a five gallon bucket and there was a small hole in the seat of my britches. I sent 135 amps rushing into my head and out that hole. Did it cure my Parkinson's? No. Did it make it lessen? Not that I could tell. It did give me a tic in the middle of my forehead for several days.

I can tell you if I was subjected to ETC I'd swear it worked and I'd do my best to hide every sign of Parkinson's I could to get out of there and stop them from doing it to me. In the case of this treatment I reserve My right to disagree totally. Snake oil salesmen don't just peddle bottles of cures.

They used this treatment to manage unruly Patients and make them more manageable for years and that's still what you get for results even now. This therapy has nothing to do with vibration it is the stick the rubber tube in the mouth so they won't bite their tongue place the electrodes on the temples dial it up and zap'em. I'd better get off my soapbox! Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By susger8 On 2010.10.27 07:42
Al, these days they use ECT not to calm unruly patients, but for very severe cases of depression that have not responded to medication. The patient is sedated and given muscle relaxants prior to ECT, so there is no outward sign of convulsion (and no need for the rubber tube). It does work for most patients, although there is often some short-term memory loss. It is not used for dementia to my knowledge. I can't picture using it for people with PD -- but the story of what happened after a possible lightning strike is fascinating.

Sue

By parkinit On 2010.10.27 08:48
karolina -

This is simply fascinating. Maybe God's gift to you and your spouse for an hour?

DBS certainly wouldn't be at the level of a lighting bolt electrocution, so you are not really comparing apples when you ask if they have the right insertion location for DBS.

My spouse has DBS and it is STILL helping him now almost 2 years after the initial insertion. He was down to pills every 2 hours pre-DBS and now is at 3, so I still consider it a beneficial operation. Just a side note on the DBS - leading-edge doctors are now suggesting that DBS implants be made in the early stages of the disease to counter the onset of the rigidity and tremors before they happen. Just a thought for further digestion (and possibly discussion).

My spouse does not suffer from depression, but there are studies using DBS-like stimulus in a different part of the brain to assist with depression.

If the DBS doesn't work as anticipated, of course, you have the right, as a knowledgeable patient to request that the doctor try a different electrode point - of which there are 4 contact points, and/or to increase the stimulation. We've had several adjustments over time. The tricky part is that an increase in stimulation may result in wanted as well as unwanted results. Drooling is one of those unwanted results that appeared when we made adjustments to correct a dragging foot.

By worriedaboutdad On 2010.10.27 20:28
Of course everyone has a right to their own opinion. However, ECT is not what it used to be. It is not barbaric anymore. Daddy had it for severe depression....not for Parkinson's exactly. There is no proof that it will help with Parkinson symptoms.

By shakydog On 2010.10.27 22:55
He needs to be checked by a doctor. Electrical shock burns from the inside out. If he has burns on his hand, he may very well have the same burns on his internal organs. Not to be scary, but……

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you