For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Breathing Difficulties Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By parkinit On 2010.10.31 18:12
I know breathing difficulties may be related to PD, so about 6 months ago, when my spouse was having difficulty, we contacted his GP, who said to run it by the neurologist first, which we did and he said, "not related to PD." After a battery of tests, our GP determined his heart and lungs were fine.

Now, he is having more difficulty breathing. He has extremely labored breathing when he leans over and when he lies down at night. He leaned over yesterday to tie his shoes and when upright again, he was breathing as though he had just run 100m dash. It alarmed me. He is late stage 4/early 5. He is in a powerchair 80% of the time due to frequent falls, has had DBS, and takes pills every 3 hours (150 mg of levadopa in addition to many, many others). He takes a total of around 30 pills per day.

In reading up on this, I know it can be caused by autonomic nervous system breakdown in the PD patient. I also know it can be a side effect of Requip, which he takes. I will be contacting the doctor next week, but wanted to know if anyone else had experienced their PDer having difficulty breathing.

Thanks,

By caregivermary On 2010.10.31 20:04
park

yes my husb has the same issue and I believe it is due to the autonomic nervous sytem not working as it should. Oxygen has helped him during the periods he has this issue.

By karolinakitty On 2010.10.31 20:21
[deleted]

By parkinit On 2010.11.02 00:09
Thanks for the suggestions. We are going to VA doctor tomorrow and we will mention to him as well. Another thing, is that we just had sleep tests, which I didn't think would come up with anything, but it registered 90% or lower oxygen 662 minutes out of 3 nights. That may help during the night anyway. We'll see if we can get something during the day as well.

By parkinit On 2010.11.14 22:08
Well, the VA doctor ignored our mentioning the breathing difficulties.

Also, my spouse bought an oximeter to take his oxygen blood levels. he was having difficulty breathing today and his oxygen level was at 98%- so this is not the problem. We took his blood pressure and it was in the normal range for him. We're back to the autonomous issue again, I suppose.

By LOHENGR1N On 2010.11.14 23:43
parkinit, While looking up to answer another question a bit ago I ran across some of the side effects of Sinemet (Carba/L-dopa) and it mentioned breathing problems. Don't know if this could be contributing factor or not but might be why Neuro sidestepped the breathing difficulties issue. The Neuro could figure the benefits of medicine out weighed the sode effect? Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By caregivermary On 2010.11.15 08:36
park

when my husb's oxygen level is checked it is ok too. however, he still complains of not being able to catch his breath. when he was in hospice last year the nurse said this was quite common and she ordered oxygen. It did help-very calming. we are in hospice again and the nurse ordered it the first day.

By parkinit On 2010.11.15 09:09
LO -
Thanks for the info. I did some research and it appears the breathing difficulties only appear as a result of (after ruling out a heart or lung condition:
1)decreasing dosage of sinemet to abruptly.
2) allergic reaction to sinemet.
3) may be due to rigidity, or bradykinesia of the chest wall muscles which prevents the lungs from expanding.

It appears we may have the latter.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you