For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic sudden decline please read Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By worriedaboutdad On 2010.11.08 12:24
Daddy has taken a sudden decline. He is SO weak. He can no longer get up by himself. Needs help going to the bathroom and his speech is even more slurred than usual. We thought he possibly had a small stroke? Cannot get him to the doc until Friday but if things worsen he will go to the ER before then. It is hard to believe this is just the PD. Seems something is wrong. I am thinking maybe stroke, UTI, or dehydration. His eyes are also blood red and really bothering him. Now, the next problem is with my family. They don't seem to see this as urgent like i do. I think he needs immediate attention but they seem to think it is fine. Even worse, I want him to come home (he is in a facility) and have told him we would move into the house with him. We would have to hire someone for days while we work but that shouldn't be a problem. I have to approach this with my siblings. I know how it will go.....NO. Why do they care if i am willing to do it?

By susger8 On 2010.11.08 13:57
Could you get him to an urgent-care clinic earlier than Friday? I hate the ER if it isn't a real emergency, you just sit there for hours waiting around.

Sounds as if an UTI is a possibility, as well as an eye infection. A small stroke, could be. Some PDers have a lot of variability in their condition from day to day, but this does sound like a sudden change.

Sue

By karolinakitty On 2010.11.08 15:52
worried .. i agree with Sue. See if you can get him to an Urgent Care... Stroke is a possiblity but it seems more like UTI, they can become disoriented and can hallucinate. As far as the family, you can almost expect anything when it comes to them. Some get along great while others.. you often wonder if they are really blood. It could be they think if you move in with him, you will take over his finances and maybe help yourself to things. I'm playing devils advocate here, but been there and done that, and God forbid if fifty-cents was out of place or not split evenly between all........
If your dad still is competent let him decide if you should move in. After all you are the one willing to take care of him.

By sannph On 2010.11.08 22:45
I also would encourage you to try to have your dad checked before Friday. We have had to deal with several UTI's and they really do mess up a PD patient (at least they did for my husband). A simple urine specimen is all that is needed to diagnose them. Hope you get to the source of the problem quickly and get treatment!

By KD On 2010.11.10 22:30
I sometimes found that we got better answers to medical problems when we took my mom to the emergency room because they did more extensive testing. Oftentimes it was her primary care physician who told us to bring her there.
I posted about my experience bringing my parents home in another post ("Can PWP remain at home in the end?") My siblings finally agreed to taking my dad home after his cancer diagnosis. My brother and sister were reluctant in the beginning but came around a couple of days later. My situation with my mom was slightly different because I left my job to take care of her. I ended up having to do most of the caregiving by myself and it took a big toll on me. My brother came to help in the end and we often butted heads. Our relationship suffered (we had been fairly close previously) but we're finally getting back on track almost two years after my mom passed away.
I hope your father is feeling better and that things work out for you with your siblings. I know it's hard and hope that it helps you to know that there are others out here who have also experienced what you're going through. Take care.

By Pick On 2010.11.13 21:30
Hi I hope your dad is OK. It is alarming to me that this facility your father is in does not seem to be concerned with his acute onset of symptoms. At the very least they should have already taken a urine sample. This is really a no-brainer.

For what it's worth, my dad's neuro insists that my dad submit a urine sample to his GP every month whether he is symptomatic or not. She says all of her PD patients seem to be very susceptible to UTIs. The GP usually has results within the hour. Something to think about.

By parkinit On 2010.11.14 23:06
If the facility isn't aware of what is "norm" for you dad, they won't know how to care for him. I had my spouse admitted to the hospital because he wasn't right and they wanted to release him to a nursing home facility after being in 3 days. I told them "He was not a nursing home candidate a few days ago; he is declining rapidly - WHY?" They ignored my comments for several days and finally ran a CT scan and found a subdural hematoma. You have to be on your toes... and persistent.

By Pick On 2010.11.16 11:04
"If the facility isn't aware of what is "norm" for you dad, they won't know how to care for him. I had my spouse admitted to the hospital because he wasn't right and they wanted to release him to a nursing home facility after being in 3 days. I told them "He was not a nursing home candidate a few days ago; he is declining rapidly - WHY?" They ignored my comments for several days and finally ran a CT scan and found a subdural hematoma. You have to be on your toes... and persistent."

That's a really, really good point. I experienced something similar during my dad's hospitalization. I knew something was wrong and kept telling all the nurses and docs that Dad was not at his baseline but nobody would listen to me....I found out later that the nursing notes indicated the staff had decided I was "in denial."

Turned out I was right and they were wrong....when my dad finally got a neuro consult the neuro discovered that instead of receiving the prescribed 1800 mg/day dose of Stalevo (which is about the maximum allowable dosage), he'd been administered 3000-4000 mg/day by mistake for 4 days!

By vickilynn On 2010.11.30 00:17
Just my two-cents about taking care of someone at home vs. a nursing facility....I feel that if you have the ability to take care of the PWP at home it is always the best option. If the PD is advanced, their needs are so great that I believe they would unduly suffer in a typical facility due to lack of adequate staff and attention. My PWP needs alot of attention and oversight because of the stage of the disease. When it gets to the point that I cannot physically handle it anymore, then I won't have much of a choice...but until that time, God willing, I will care for her at home.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you