For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Tired of Waiting For Doctors!!! Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By arlenecram On 2010.11.12 22:29
We are feeling pretty discouraged right now. My husband is in constant pain---neck and back---which then brings on anxiety attacks. He basically sits in his chair or paces the floor. I have spent the last month trying to get him into a pain clinic. The paperwork is always sitting on someone's desk. We have had three doctors say that they thought that botox injections would help with the pain. After a month the pain clinic called back to say they would not do the injections----with giving no reason. I don't know where to go from here---it gets so discouraging and hard to watch a love one having so much pain.I contacted his neurologist who agreed botox would help---he gives injections in his office----but not for pain---that does not make sense to me. I am sure many parkinsons patients deal with chronic pain----what gives relief?

By LOHENGR1N On 2010.11.13 10:55
arlene, Dealing with chronic pain isn't easy. You can try heating pads but I was thinking about this post and I don't know if it's possible? I just though of massages? This can be expensive but......if you checked up to see if there are schools for Occupational or Psychical Therapy in your area? Maybe your Husband can "volunteer" or some students would help for the practice? It's just a thought, it can't hurt to look into it. You can ask the Neurologist if they know of any). One of the biggest problems with the pain is muscle spasms. When our brains sense pain they send a message to that point to tense the muscles to protect the spot. This causes the spot to hurt more, so the brain sends a message to the muscles to tighten more and a vicious circle is created pain, tighten more...equals more pain...message tighten more. So maybe massages would help release some of the spasms and ease the pain a little. (We all know any lessening of pain is better than no relief). I hope this is of some help and you can locate help for Him soon. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By Pick On 2010.11.13 22:06
Hi arlene,

I sympathize with your frustration and feel I can empathize somewhat as my dad has severe chronic pain issues. Pain is often undertreated because healthcare providers don't "get the message". I don't know your circumstances but it might be helpful, if you haven't already, to learn their language (and it certainly can't hurt).

Tell the doctors that your husband's pain affects his quality of life. Ask your husband "on a scale of 0 to 10, 0 being no pain and 10 being the worse pain you can imagine, how bad is your pain?" Report that # to his doctors...if its above 3 and they don't do anything other than Tylenol then get new doctors. Also, do a "COLDSPA" assessment and report to doctors: Character, Onset, Location, Duration, Severity, Pattern, Aggravating/Alleviating factors of pain. I hope this helps. I know it helped us. It's awful watching your loved one suffer through untreated pain.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you