For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Nutrition in a can - snake oil? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By anidaholady On 2010.11.16 15:27
A couple who are friends of my husband's are selling some kind of "nutrition in a can" and want him to try it out. They want to talk to us, want us to meet a couple of Parkinson's patients "who are doing quite well" on this supplement. (And have also told us they have had customers who have had good results with problems such stomach problems and alopecia!) They are very evasive about giving us any information on the product before meeting with them, so of course I can't look up anything on line, and all I can think of is multi-level-marketing schemes and snake oil.

Does anyone know of any specific "nutrtion in a can" shakes that are being touted for Parkinson's? I told my husband I would be very leery that something in the product might interact with his Parkinson's meds (Mirapex and Azilect). He is a bit skeptical himself, of course, but is hoping to find anything that can be used to battle this disease. I'm not sure I can talk him out of trying it.

Barb

By lurkingforacure On 2010.11.16 15:38
I read something about this for Alzheimer's. Google it for that and see what you find. I think what I would do if I were you is go to the meeting alone, without my PWP, and get the scoop. You can simply tell them he/she wasn't up to going. Get all the information you can, and I would discuss it with my neuro as well as read about it on the net. I definitely would not commit to anything at the meeting.

By karolinakitty On 2010.11.16 16:11
I might suggest this:
#1. look at the ingredients and vitamins/minerals listed....
#2. google away before you buy..
#3. some supplements have herbal influences and may contradict the meds he is on, just be very cautious.
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Check out jsmitch's post in non-caregiver topics. The link in there also connects to products out there, not FDA regulated that are, let's say, snake-oil related.

Oops .. it wasn't in non-caregivers topics.. i know, i just read it not too long ago though...perhaps 2 weeks

By karolinakitty On 2010.11.16 17:00
Since i posted last i did some research on supplements for PD patients.......

If your guy has a problem with proteins, watch out if this supplement has Silurian in it. It is higher in protein than tofu.

B3 they say is ok.....we are on B6 and B12 but low doses.....

If your guy is highly intelligent there is a good chance he already has high levels of Lecithin, so be wary if that is an ingredient.

By anidaholady On 2010.11.16 17:18
Thanks for the replies! I really want to know what the product is so I can research it... I'm already a non-believer in whatever it is they are selling. Again, even though my husband is skeptical also, he thinks trying it can't hurt him. We know this couple, and we would not normally be so skeptical of them personally, so this may be why he feels tempted to try it.

By MonaL On 2010.11.16 22:23
There are a number of nutrients that, in theory, should be able to help Parkinson's patients. I've run across several that appear to show promise, but I haven't paid much attention since my dad won't try any of them.

Whey protein, in the form of *undenatured* whey protein is supposed to be helpful, since it is one of the few ways to increase glutathione in the body. I don't know of any PD patients that have tried it though.

My neighbor is a firm believe in ground flaxseed for the digestive issues that occur with PD - I use it on the dogs here for similar reasons.

In general, I tend to be skeptical of things that won't specify ingredients and amounts. If it's a quality product, there shouldn't be a problem listing the ingredients and amounts.

They are thinking that CoQ-10 might show promise, though studies show conflicting reports. They are using pretty high dosese here:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/09/090921143147.htm
Ubiquinol is supposed to be better absorbed, so you can use lower doses of it.

By mylove On 2010.11.16 22:48
We are trying the CoQ-10 and fish oil. The hard part is that there's really no way to measure whether it's making a difference at all or if it's coincidental. But we figured that it was worth a shot.

I would be wary of 'fad' items, especially if you get a bad gut feeling about the sellers and they're not being forthcoming with answers to reasonable questions. What is there to hide if they have the best product?

By anidaholady On 2010.11.16 23:20
Thanks everybody - I do appreciate all your info, and I will look into each. We are supposed to meet with these folks sometime after Thanksgiving. When I find out what they are selling, I'll let you know. All they have told us right now is that it is "nutrition in a can" (a type of shake, I guess) developed by a doctor about 28 years ago and they sell by word of mouth....so I'm pretty sure it is probably some sort of MLM scheme.

They are not saying this nutritional drink is specifically for Parkinson's - they have told us that their customers have had improvement in a number of ailments. Again, sounds like snake oil....a product that is helpful for everything from stomach aches to hair loss to autism! Will keep you posted.
Barb

By mylove On 2010.11.16 23:27
Thanks, Barb. I AM really curious about it now. I googled every combination I could think of, and couldn't find anything that sounded right. I remember the recent acai berry fad (monavie, anyone?), the wheatgrass juice one, and a couple others before that that I can't think of off the tip of my tongue, but it seems like all of them sound great but end up being just another thing to buy.

By MonaL On 2010.11.20 00:59
My instinct is that anything that might help would be something very targeted, and not one of these "general" feel good things.

My Dad really does feel better when he uses the Isopure whey protein (it's no undenatured), but I think in general that's because he doesn't get great nutrition, he eats a lot of crummy stuff, I don't think it necessarily helps with the PD stuff. So some general nutrient things might help him feel better, even if it's not PD specific?

By anidaholady On 2010.12.15 10:03
We haven't met with the folks yet, but found out the company/product is Reliv. Searching online shows that they have about 10 products, each with a list of ingredients a mile long, AND each includes a proprietary formulation as part of its ingredients. The company is basically MLM, and most of the info I can find is a lot of hype telling distributors how much money they can make.

I don't know which of the 10 products they want my husband to try, but I think he is getting a little more skeptical than he was in the begining, although still willing to listen to their presentation and go from there. I told him we would need to check with doc or pharmacist regarding the potential medication interaction or other helath concerns with any/all of the ingredients.

Anyone have any experience with any of the Reliv products? Apparently at least one of the ingredients (a black pepper extract) can interfere with absorption rate of "nutrition" and of course MEDS due to its interaction with the lining of the gut.

Would appreciate if anyone has any info to share. Thanks!
Barb

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you