For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Educating the public ????? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By karolinakitty On 2010.11.16 17:53
Just putting some feelers out there to caregivers and patients alike...

Most of you who are here regularly, know that I, for the grace of God, was able to turn around the determination process for disability, for PD, here in SC. As a refresher they were giving an intellectual test posed as a memory/concentration test.

I have had the pleasure of meeting certain individuals with "higher powers" and have told them about the misconception of the public on this disease.

One of those is a well known publicist, who wants to help me get some things together to put out to the public.

Ideas are welcome, no names will be used in this process including mine. I have this wanting to educate the public, as well as help change more of the determination process for those under the retirement age, plus perhaps educate the doctor's and their assistants on the many things they seem to overlook in the process of caring for the patient, like side effects from drugs and all those things that give us a "what the heck now" reaction.

Out of those three issues, which would you want most to see done or done first??????

By LOHENGR1N On 2010.11.16 19:56
kk, My thoughts on this lean toward educating the public as first. If we can educate the public then that awareness will help fuel changing the determination process and educate the Doctors and staff. (Well hopefully it would) The more educated the public the more apt to question and fight determination processes and the more likely to question the Doctors on treatment. Also going down the lines the more apt it might make family to get more involved in care and attention to loved ones suffering from Parkinson's. You know tougher questions from co-workers and friends........so how's your Uncle doing? Oh you know as well as can be expected. Well I saw him the other day and he was really moving all over the place is the a side effect from his med's? ..Huh? You know dyskinesia, from med's. What's he taking? Well um ...... What don't you know? Umm ...When's the last time you saw him anyway? Well I'm pretty busy and......

You get my drift if questions and conversation becomes deeper they either have to become involved or be labeled a jerk. That's my two cents worth for now. Also count me in, sincerely Al

By karolinakitty On 2010.11.16 21:13
Sounds good AL ... as we move into this I'll email you and let you know what's up. She has been on most of the morning shows on TV and set up(had her staff) many forums and websites for different projects. She also gets into local TV and newspapers, a real go getter.....she wanted my guy to go on a morning show(good morning america), but he's not sure doing just 15 minutes on TV is good enough.....

By shakydog On 2010.11.16 23:04
Let me know what I can do. Other than "venting". LOL. :))))))))). :-D

By karolinakitty On 2010.11.16 23:06
Will do shakydog...

By hopefullone On 2011.03.26 02:49
HI,
Have you all thought about going to local colleges and educate those who are not med students studing to be nurses or doctors. I myself am a college student that does not study medicine and speaking for myself and possibly many others that would be very interested. I would like to be more involved and to learn more. so far from what i have read in everyones forum it sounds like something everyone should be more aware of.

By LOHENGR1N On 2011.03.26 08:55
hopefullone, Good idea! If you haven't checked out the commentary section of this sight (at top of page click on commentary) I wrote several one addresses teaching and spreading awareness. If you scroll down to the bottom of the commentary page you'll see that title. It can be frustrating so I rely upon the humor of these whole situations to carry through them. If you get some spare time give the commentaries a read. They might help you gain more insight into Parkinson's also. Take care, best of luck and good to have you here on the forum.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you