For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Flu Vaccine? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By MonaL On 2010.11.17 05:47
Any thoughts on this, yes or no?

If PD is thought to be triggered by caustic chemicals to the brain (and in my dad's case, chemotherapy), and all of these vaccines are preserved with metals and contain other scary things, do folks here think the flu vaccine is good or bad for a PD patient?

By Emma On 2010.11.17 06:11
I've always believed that it was important to keep my husband protected, as much as possible, from any infection or respiratory distress so he does get the vaccine. Our neuro encourages it as well. I'm curious to see what others say about this.

By Reflection On 2010.11.17 06:22
My sense is that the flu is likely to be much more problematic for someone with PD than the vaccine.
One possible exception: many folks with PD take Amantadine, which was originally an anti-viral medication. Amantadine was first approved by the FDA to treat viral infections, including flu - when those taking it who happened to have PD reported it improved their symptoms, it become used for PD. My husband has never had flu since taking Amantadine, and has never had a flu vaccination. I'd guess the Amantadine is protecting him from the flu - but this is one where I'd ask your doctor.

By susger8 On 2010.11.17 08:05
Flu vaccine in single-dose vials doesn't contain thimoseral or other preservatives.

I feel that it is to my father's benefit to protect him from getting the flu -- it can hit an older, frail person very hard. My grandmother got double pneumonia after having the flu and she died not long after.

Sue

By mylove On 2010.11.17 09:06
Just to add our two cents - not only the flu vac, but the pneumonia vac as well. We were recommended both by our PCP.

By packerman On 2010.11.17 10:21
my hubby gets a flu shot every Fall.

By TiredTexan On 2010.11.17 14:57
mylove, has your PDP ever had a reaction to the pneumonia vaccine? My PD spouse had a shot a couple of days ago - at the recommendation of the pulmonary doc - and has been somewhat weak since, though it seems to be slowly improving. I know reactions are not usual and fortunately he has had no fever.

By Michele On 2010.11.17 18:55
TT, my PD husband always gets a flu shot and also got the pneumonia shot. He did not have any reaction to either. I understand your concern about reactions to meds. I hope the responses are helpful.

By mylove On 2010.11.17 21:35
So far so good on the pneumonia shot. He had both and did not seem to have any reactions beyond the usual sore shoulder, achy muscles, etc. which seem to go along with the flu shot for so many people.

By lurkingforacure On 2010.11.18 14:14
I guess we're the minority. Never had a flu shot, or the other pneumonia one, and have never gotten the flu or pheumonia, knock on wood. Won't get getting them, either, I've read too many books including the ones by Dr. Russell Blaylock, a neuro, both of whose parents died of PD. He knows a bit about the brain and PD.

By LOHENGR1N On 2010.11.18 15:36
lurking, Your minority just got 1 bigger, never had flu or pneumonia shot either, posting this hoping I just didn't jinx myself.

By karolinakitty On 2010.11.18 16:34
Neither my guy nor I ever got a flu shot, of course, living way back in the woods might help our chances of not getting it also....

By MonaL On 2010.11.20 00:53
Interesting responses, thanks for all the feedback!

Dad isn't one to get colds or the flu, which I guess is one other reason I would hesitate. I just worry about putting more metals into his body since his chemo was platinum based - even the mercury free vaccines have aluminum in them I believe. I've had a terrible reaction to the combo tetanus vaccine, and have had dogs with severe vaccine reactions, so I'm a bit spooked about them - also love all the work by Blaylock.

Mom on the other hand, does have severe respiratory problems and such, and the vaccines makes more sense for her in terms of risk benefit.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you