For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic toe removal Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By worriedaboutdad On 2010.11.17 17:45
I know crazy topic huh? Well, Daddy has a toe that has been giving him fits for a while. Not sure if the doctor has diagnosed it as gout (sp) but I do know that a lot of it is hygiene related. He refuses to wear socks and has gotten multiple infections in his toe. Anywho....the next step for the near future is removal of the toe. Daddy will not miss the toe and it shouldn't effect his walking but what I am worried about is the surgery itself. Any advice....what meds to stay away from etc.

By LOHENGR1N On 2010.11.17 19:08
Worried, I know it's hard to get Doctors to listen sometimes but it might be well worth it to request them to run a blood test for His Uric Acid levels. Especially if Gout is suspected Uric Acid builds up and forms crystals in the joins and tendons the result is gout. If it is Gout (it forms mostly in the joint at the base of the big toe, but can also form in wrists, knees, elbows just about every joint). So aside from the infections and hygiene it is a different issue. Elevated levels can also lead to kidney problems including the formation of stones. Which wouldn't show up if they were looking for UTI'S. I seem to recall you posted before about Your Dad having swollen legs. If He's retaining fluid at times it could elevate his Uric Acid levels. With some of the past problems His Doctor just might give attention such a request. Just a suggestion, another piece to this jigsaw puzzle of disease and side effects we grapple with. I hope this helps, I could be way out in leftfield with it but I figured it might be worth a mention. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By mylove On 2010.11.17 21:32
I know this sounds like a strange question, but which toe is it? I always had heard that gout primarily affected the big toes and that the big toe was crucial to balance.

By Pearly4 On 2010.11.18 10:01
My mother's second toe crossed over the big toe - caused huge issues with sores and shoes not fitting, etc. Doctor's wanted to remove it - we convinced them to do it under a local block -- wanted to avoid the general anesthesia recovery period. Codiene type pain killers are bad for Parkinson's patients. So are anti-nausea drugs if I recall. Might be worth a call to his neuro if he has one to notify him and ask for his input on what to avoid. If your dad stays in the hospital make sure you ask that orders be written to give his parkinson's meds by time of day, not "every four hours" or whatever -- he's much more likely to get them when he needs them. Most docs will allow them to be taken before surgery too, but question whether that's possible. Hope these thoughts help.

By worriedaboutdad On 2010.11.18 17:02
Thanks all! Loh...is Uric Acid the same as BUN levels? Just curious because he has had that issue before. Also, to answer someone elses question, it is his second toe which I don't think will effect balance too much.

By LOHENGR1N On 2010.11.18 19:36
Worried, A BUN (Blood Urea Nitrogen) test is to check how well the kidneys are working. It checks the levels of urea in the blood. A lot of times they test Creatinine along with it to check for dehydration. I don't think they would normally include and test Uric Acid levels at the same time. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you