For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic dopamine agonists and renal failure Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By karolinakitty On 2010.12.01 14:07
I was doing some research today and wanted to give some more info on incontinence and renal failure as it relates to PD patients.
My guy has had some swelling of the calves and ankles. His PCP did some workups back in May with nothing found. So did hid neuro 4 months ago, he never called so I assume there was nothing. However, I found out today that some docs overlook minor fluctuations in the readings and there are borderline gauges. If it's overboard, they do something if it's borderline they don't. His swelling went down some as he started wearing ankle braces as he felt his ankles were weak. The PCP assumed the swelling was due to the fact that some people just swell in the summer. It isn't summer anymore and the swelling continues. He's been doing everything we can think of but to no avail. That is why i read further into kidney issues with PD.

Reading more into renal failure and PD it seems that the dopamine agonists lead to Rhadomyolysis which is the breakdown of muscle fibers resulting in the release of muscle fiber contents (myoglobin) into the bloodstream. Some of these are harmful to the kidney and frequently result in kidney damage.
Dead muscle tissue may cause a large amount of fluid to move from the blood into the muscle, reducing the fluid volume of the body and leading to shock and reduced blood flow to the kidneys.
Now of course this is in the severe range of symptoms and early symptoms were passed off as other issues.
Some renal failure symptoms are similar to PD symptoms so i can understand how they get overlooked.
-changes in urine frequency (especially at night)
-nausea
-dizziness
-pain on the side of the back
-weakness
-muscle cramps
-poor concentration
All those symptoms plus a few more are symptoms of Chronic kidney failure, so no wonder they get overlooked. Chronic Kidney failure comes over time, slow and symptomatic, but, if overlooked can lead to renal failure.
Now we have overlooked these things and have tried to deal with the swelling as to what the doc says and what we know is to be healthy.
We see the neuro the end of the month and are thinking at this time about asking about Azilect. We figure the side effects of that are less than the Requip and perhaps since he is only on requip and not Sinemet or Stalevo at this time it would equal itself out.
I know that in general, PD effects all neuron receptors and naturally would effect most organs including the kidneys, bladder and spleen, but perhaps slowing down the progression and not adding to it would be beneficial.
We are proactive, in that i also read about foods to avoid and foods to add to your diet as it is relative to kidney function.

Just wanted to pass on some info

By Lacy On 2010.12.01 15:27
This post has been invaulable to me!! My husbands PCP indicated there was a slight elevation of something in his kidney test and asked if we had added any new meds or any changes in meds. All I could tell him was that his Mirapex has been increased monthly. He advised us to lessen the dosage and then be re-tested Friday to see if there's a significant change. HOWEVER, his neuro said the Mirapex should not affect the kidneys at all and was puzzled as to why the PCP decreased the dosage. So why didn't he CALL the PCP and find out?!!! GRRRR

Anyway, I have definitely noticed increased swelling in his feet and try to keep his feet elevated while in his recliner as much as possible. Also, there seems to be an increase in urination at night as he wakes up soaked every morning. I'm ready to wrap him in a giant baggie at night, it's getting so bad. LOL

By packerman On 2010.12.01 18:04
Dr. Scholls has diabetic socks that seem to help my hubby with swelling.
i bought them at WalMart. they're not expensive.

By Emma On 2010.12.01 18:13
Thank you for this post KK, it is timely for us. Just the other day I noticed that my husbands feet and ankles were very swollen. I have never seen this in him before. I've been having him keep his legs elevated and plan to buy some compression stockings when I go shopping tomorrow. We have a doctor appointment next week so I'll ask about testing his kidney function or levels.

By karolinakitty On 2010.12.01 23:19
Yes, we've been doing the elevated feet, the compression stockings, he wears the diabetic socks and no relief, except for the ankle braces which has been short lived. This week the ankle braces won't fit because the leg is swollen so much. He's hydrated taking the Lasix and still no real relief. I know that requip has an issue with swollen legs, but i had no idea it was kidney related. You won't find it in their info or that of Mirapex. I found this info from nephrologist's websites and exerts from a book about movement disorders and kidney disease.
Glad it's timely .. that always helps us out.

By susger8 On 2010.12.02 07:44
Interesting. My dad used to have swollen ankles, but that stopped and I didn't know why. Now I realize his swelling probably improved after he stopped taking Requip.

Sue

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you