For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic "It's difficult to drive my power chair" Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By parkinit On 2010.12.03 22:18
My PDer asked me to check here to see if anyone else has problems with motor skills. He said he has times throughout the day where he has great difficulty just pushing the toggle on his power chair to move foward and he cannot grasp a glass or pages of a book or anything such as this. He said, "Ask your forum friends if others have this same issue." So here I am . . . asking. :)

If your PDer has this situation, how long does it last? What do you do to help the PDer during this time? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

By LOHENGR1N On 2010.12.04 00:03
parkinit, Tell Your PDer yes. With tremors, dyskinesia or dystonia, poverty of movement, slowness of movement, freezing, falling and the plethora of other things one can have from Parkinson's Disease or medicine side effects, We all to some extent or other have problems with our motor skills. How long do they last? Never can tell, sometimes a few moments sometimes most of the day. What do I try to do the help myself? I try to stay away for sharp objects, steps, hot beverages, the stove, things that I can really hurt myself with or on. Also it's a good idea to turn on the radio or TV and leave it on a station that interests you. I avoid the newspaper, microwave, phone (anything requiring fine motor skills) as these things just tend to frustrate you and cause you to dwell or think about the problems you're having at the moment. About all I've found that I can do about it is to just try riding it out. Do the best you can and don't be hard on yourself because you're having trouble doing simple things. I know it's not easy but really it's basically all we can do. I wish I had a magic formula or trick to make things right but I don't. Just know you're not alone experiencing these problems. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By susger8 On 2010.12.04 12:58
Yes, my dad definitely has had problems with switches, buttons, anything requiring control of small movements. Another problem that's common in PWPs is lack of spatial perception -- not being able to locate where you are in relationship to other objects. This is an obvious problem when driving a car or a power chair! I see this when I am helping Dad get in the car. He can't quite figure out that he has to go past the closed door with his walker, let me open the door, and then turn around to get in the door.

Dad is an engineer and all these things were second nature to him. It's hard to see this change.

Sue

By Rudy On 2010.12.04 13:26
Hey, I just completed training to become a Nurse's Aide in a long term care facility, and wanted to get a bit more information as to how I can better be of service to a person with Parkinson's, and just from reading this one post and the replies, I've learned quite a bit already apart from the disease process and more about the difficulty of dealing with it, so I just wanted to say thank you guys very much.

By parkinit On 2010.12.05 17:35
Rudy -
Lo is a wealth of information.

Lo - thanks for your response. It helps my spouse to know he is not alone in his plight as well.

By oshroshr On 2010.12.06 22:00
This weekend my pder and I are going to try to go visit my son. He seems to be looking forward to it. I ordered a rented scooter that will be delivered to hotel when we arrive. Now I am wondering if it will be too difficult. He can drive the one at Lowes so I am hoping this is a positive experience. Any thoughts on how to help make this a good experience?

By parkinit On 2010.12.12 09:58
This may be too late, but just make sure the speed is turned on low. My PDer gets frustrated because he will have it at top speed and I have to remind him over and over again - turn to the lowest speed to manuever more easily.

Also, this is one time you will also want to let your spouse "be the chief" as you walk BEHIND him (otherwise you could get run over - which has happened to me)!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you