For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic the flip side Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By LOHENGR1N On 2010.12.14 00:09

I'm posting this with trepidation. I hate being a wet blanket! I really do, I don't enjoy bringing up con's to any suggestions. G-d knows Caregiving is hard enough without anyone saying yes but. Please don't shoot the messenger. I just bring this up as sometimes we hit upon a solution and Parkinson's shakes it's head and says you think so huh.

Brought up in another thread Ice grippers for shoes; great idea and they really work, as was pointed out they can work too good our feet shuffle and our upper body is going on while our feet stick. Be careful

Microwaves; Quick easy meal prep, however with tremor I've put something in for a minute waited and thought gee that's a long minute only to find I've put it in for eleven minutes and eleven seconds or longer. Once again something that should be easy is complicated by Parkinson's Disease. Be careful.

Wool socks; Slide into shoes easier. Sounds good. But they also slide on bare wooden floors or tiles easier also. Just the opposite problem we get with ice grippers. I know I just slid past the kitchen sink in my sock feet (good thing the stove was there to catch me). Another case of Parkinson's Disease smirking asking really? You think so? Be careful.

I'm not saying these hints aren't helpful, I'm just reminding to be careful, it seems everything we do we have to concentrate more as we do it and carefully pay attention to what we're doing.

Again I'm not saying don't use these tips or hints, I'm not trying to discredit hints. I'm just trying to remind My other Parkies to make sure of what you're doing and if having problems ask for help doing it. Heck ask for help even if you think you're doing it ok. It's just the nature of this damn disease, when you think you know how to play, it changes the rules. Let's keep everyone safe through the holidays and the coming year. Take care, best of luck and hang in there

By Emma On 2010.12.14 03:08
Good points Al. I get a lot of useful tips on this website but I've learned over time that what works for one person may not work for another. I've also learned that I have to step back and think things through and try to anticipate what problems could occur with any new and different thing we try.

Socks have been a big problem for us. My husband doesn't like to wear shoes in the house but at the same time he does slip on the wood floors and his feet get cold. After a lot of trial and error our solution has been to put cotton socks on him and then put a second pair over them. The second pair are "hospital socks" with the grippy things on the bottom. The traction is just enough ... not too much ... and his feet stay warm. So far this works for us, there may come a point when it doesn't and it may not work for others.

My husband can't use the microwave, with his dementia it's just too complicated. When I was still working he would make his own lunch but he left the stove on once too often so I started making cold lunches for him and leaving them in the refrigerator. Probably not as nice as a hot lunch but at least he was safe.

Right now I have a garage full of adaptive equipment and good ideas gone bad that I'll be selling at a garage sale this spring. As I said, I get a lot of good ideas from this site but I'm getting better at anticipating potential problems. It takes a lot of trial and error and creativity to keep the Parkinson's boat afloat!

By karolinakitty On 2010.12.14 08:20
Thanx Al .... I forgot about my guys double clicking the mouse....i can see where double clicking a number would cause a problem too. My gram didn't have PD so that wasn't a problem..... You're right what works for one may not work for another. That's why I'm not working... If i didn't tell him it's one of the meals of the day then he wouldn't eat or drink for that matter. Too many buttons to work on the microwave. I too worry about any kind of socks. Of course, here in the south it usually doesn't get as cold as it has been, so not too much of a worry. We usually wear clogs, but that's our preference. After being in food service almost all our lives, we are used to them.

By dkleinert On 2010.12.17 00:21
Lohengrin - thanks for bringing this up. Sooo true. "Think safety first" should be our motto for everything. We, like you Emma, have lots of "ideas" sitting in our storage building. Now we try out something before we buy it - see if it works or not. It also seems that what works and is safe or useful for a month or a week does not stay that way. Sox are a problem for my PD hubby too. It seems he is always leaving the left one somewhere...not sure how it does it, but it becomes twisted or off somehow. Emma-I like the grippy pad sox going over regular sox - we will try that. Now that it is cold, I have been putting on soft, warm sox on him. Mostly what he walks on is carpet, but when he walks on the ceramic tile floors in the kitchen and bathroom, he needs warm and grippy. Thanks for always reminding us how it feels for you, Lohengrin - you mean a lot to me.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you