For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Responsibility Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By TiredTexan On 2010.12.21 15:08
My PD spouse has done it again! Took tonight's meds this morning - that means he didn't have his carbidopa levodopa first thing (and it really didn't show), nor his BP med, etc. I organize them once a week in a Pilbox (has 7 "drawers" - one for each day of the week - with 4 compartments for morning, noon, evening and night that are clearly marked). And I get so frustrated - seems nothing I do is enough. And his reaction seems to be, "So what!" Apologies to those on the forum who have PD, but I can't help feeling he just wants someone else to be responsible. This certainly is not the pre-PD person! Right now I refuse to dole out his meds one at a time!
Referring to pre-PD, I've looked at the personality profiles (and I know they are not proven scientifically) of many PD patients. Mine fits so many of those characteristics, it is scary! He "over came" so many of the negatives in his profession, but they were still there.
So that is my rant for today! Seems when things are going smoothly the "shoe always falls" - in minor ways.
On that note, MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

By caregivermary On 2010.12.21 17:08
TT,

I am a TT too. Many posters have given their opinion regarding drug management. I believe it is an individual decision based on the circumstances involved. I personally could not stand by and watch while my husb took the wrong pills, forgot to take the pills, or just simply dropped them on the floor my mistake. In good conscience, four years ago I took over the entire management of my husb's drugs. My husb is going on his 21st year with Parkinson's. He was dx with early dementia in 2007. The frustration is real and you have nothing to apologize for and please rant any time you feel the need. It is true that when things seemed to be going smoothly another issue pops up. As the disease progresses this situation is even more true.

Missing one pill will probably not change much for your husb but taking the wrong pills, missing multiple doses, and having this happen often should lead you to make changes that will be better for his long term health and hopefully, reduce the amount of frustration you are experiencing.

Merry Christmas to you!!

By daisy On 2010.12.21 17:42
Yes, I know exactly what you mean. My lol always forgets to take his meds, It drives me nuts. I wonder sometimes, how he can forget, when he knows he needs Sinemet every 2 hours, it's the difference between being able to move or being paralysed and yet he still forgets. Then I think, maybe he has memory problems, but is that usual after only 5 years? I find myself looking for problems that maybe aren't there, or maybe they are. It is what it is and all I can do is remind him again and again and again...

By TiredTexan On 2010.12.21 21:31
Daisy, there doesn't seem to be any "usual" about PD and dementia. If I remember, they both started within a short time of one another. I guess it sounds like a "sick" gratefulness, but I am thankful he's never had heart problems or cancer...in fact has been quite healthy all his years. That is, if you don't count allergy and asthma - that has come and gone.

And fellow Texan, it has been a long time since this last happened. I think it is his blase attitude that bugs me most!

By karolinakitty On 2010.12.22 09:01
Daisy ... In some PD plus cases, memory is the first of symptoms. My guy is only 54, and has had memory issues a good 2 years before diagnosis only about 3 years ago. Since the onset of diagnosis, i have administered pills. I also have to remind him to eat and drink. There are receptors in the brain that are not feeding him this info. I too have the pill box 7day, 4x a day. This keeps me on my toes as we all can have memory issues for taking pills. I also have 2 apps on my iPhone that remind me to give the meds. Sometimes as we go on, even as caregivers, with our duties and things we have to do, missing a dose can be bad so i like my reminders.
We joke a lot about this issue because i am just a forgetter.. i have always been like that... taking pills is something neither of us ever HAD to do. I had my tubes tied after my third child so i never even took the pill on a daily basis.

By parkinit On 2010.12.22 22:37
My spouse yet administers his own pills . . . well, sorta. I wear the vibrating watch. I stop whatever I am doing every 3 hours to watch him to ensure he takes the pills. Too many times I have reminded him, left the room and he became distracted (I swear PD patients are sooo like those who have ADHD; they are easily distracted) and didn't take his pills.

Now, I pull them out of the box for him, hand them to him and watch him take the pills. If I happen to be gone during his pill time, I call him and say, "I'm not hanging up until AFTER you take the pills," and don't.

The concentration level of PD patients at times is extremely low. It is not their fault. I finally figured this out. It took me awhile.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you