For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic For Newbies/young onsetters Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lurkingforacure On 2010.12.27 09:07
Be sure of your DX, and exercise, exercise, exercise:

(a repost of a post in the regular forum here but especially important for you all:)

I have often wondered if I would feel more energetic, less like the tired mom that I am, if I popped a sinemet too...they say everyone's dopamine levels decline with age, so why not? I never have, of course, but boy have I wondered.

Millions of people are told they have PD, a disease whose existence has to be taken on faith since there is no way to diagnose it (and even after death, some PWP do NOT have Lewy Bodies in their brain upon autopsy, and incredibly, there are autopsies of healthy folk who never showed a sign of PD whose brains had them!! So much for the "hallmark" of PD).

But still they tell us, if sinemet makes things better, you have PD, and need to just take your pills and go home....trust us...the sinemet wouldn't help if you didn't have PD, now would it? Or, gulp....would it?....

1. Neurosci Lett. 2010 Nov 25. [Epub ahead of print]

L-DOPA reverses motor deficits associated with normal aging in mice.

Allen E, Carlson KM, Zigmond MJ, Cavanaugh JE.

Department of Pharmacology, Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA 15282, USA.

We wished to determine whether L-DOPA, a common treatment for the motor deficits in Parkinson's disease, could also reverse the motor deficits that occur duringaging. We assessed motor performance in young (2-3 months) and old (20-21 months) male C57BL/6 mice using the challenge beam and cylinder tests. Prior to testing, mice were treated with L-DOPA or vehicle. Following testing, striatal tissue was analyzed for phenotypic markers of dopamine neurons: dopamine, dopamine transporter, and tyrosine hydroxylase. Although the dopaminergic markers were unchanged with age or L-DOPA treatment, L-DOPA reversed the motor deficits in the old animals such that their motor coordination was that of a young mice. These findings suggest that some of the locomotor deficits that accompany normal aging are responsive to L-DOPA treatment and may be due to subtle alterations in dopaminergic signaling.

PMID: 21111775 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

I'm not really sure what this tells me except that a LOT more people than the acknowledged 30-35% are being told they have PD when they probably do not. So many lives affected. And a LOT of people are making a LOT of money off of people who really may not be "sick". Drug companies, doctors, the whole "disease industry". Makes me kinda sick myself.

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you