For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Exelon patch Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By TiredTexan On 2011.01.03 15:02
Does anyone have experience with Exelon patches? Several years ago they were prescribed for my PD spouse by our Primary Care doc - and we still use them. I know their purpose is to slow the progress of dementia, not "repair" it...but for some time I've been wondering if they have lost their effectiveness. If they are helping even a little bit I would not want to stop them (they do cost a lot even with the deductible)...any ideas on how to determine that? We spent Christmas weekend with one of our daughters and son-in-law who live about 100 miles away...being in a familiar environment with them was only minimally confusing. Twice, however, we did extensive searches for his sunglasses only to find them where he had put them in the first place; one night he tried to put his PJ shirt sleeve on over his foot - already has his pants on; since getting home have searched for his billfold - found it in the pants he had worn the day before and put in the dirty clothes (glad I had not absent-mindedly tossed them in the washer!); misplaced one hearing aid - found it on the floor; and no fault of his, but the crown came off a tooth (dentist closed all week, but tooth did not hurt - whew!). The repetitious questions seem to be getting more frequent, and recall of events more difficult. You get the picture - and the neuro always asks what I think! Who is the doctor here?

By caregivermary On 2011.01.03 17:54
TT,

my husb has used the patch for over 3 yrs now. I have to admit I did try to stop it in the summer of 2008 and there was a big problem. He is still using it faithfully. The neuro tried adding namenda in addition to the exelon patch in July of 2010 but it didn't work for my husb. You may want to talk with your husb's neuro about this drug.

By karolinakitty On 2011.01.03 19:47
Tired Texan, I don't know if you saw my post on dementia, but there is a really good article in there, it's a few pages long, but worth the read.

My guy isn't on the patch, he is on Aricept. However, I notice when we go to unfamiliar places, or after we have come back from a road trip, he loses the routine we had so he ends up a little confused for a small period. I think it may be the "out of their own element" thing.

If not as caregiver Mary said, ask the neuro about any add ons.......

By susger8 On 2011.01.04 08:24
My dad used the Excelon patch for about two months. It did seem to help his thinking and memory, but unfortunately it increased his tremors a lot and we had to discontinue it.

I would guess that you would still see a gradual worsening of cognition anyway, as the PD progresses. With this disease, nothing seems to work indefinitely.

Sue

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you