For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic chronic cough? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By gap2010 On 2011.01.24 20:46
my husband has had a cough for over 3 months now and it is just getting worse. He is coughing so hard now that he almost passes out. He can't even talk without coughing. Is this part of the PD? Mirapex side effect? Talked to the neurologist today and he suggested I contact his regular doctor to rule out any physical things before looking at the medicines. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated. It is interesting though, he's sleeping right now and not coughing. It seems to be just when he is awake. Thanks for your help with this....

By susger8 On 2011.01.25 08:23
My dad has been coughing a lot lately, but mostly when he's lying down. I was concerned about the possibility of congestive heart failure, so I had his cardiologist check him out. His heart looks OK, but he has a bit of fluid in his lungs. They are not sure why. I think part of the problem was that he was sleeping most of the day for a while due to a medication change. That wasn't good for his circulation (which is not super anyway).

I think it would be a good idea for your husband to see his regular doctor -- get a few tests, maybe a chest x-ray.

Sue

By Pearly4 On 2011.01.25 08:47
Has either of you had a swallow study? My mother had a cough, they diagnosed a little fluid in her lungs and decided it was an early congestive heart failure. She refused the heart meds, we had a swallow study and discovered she was inhaling a little fluid when swallowing. Tweaked her meds a little, changed her eating/drinking habits (I don't remember all of it but involved thickening liquids, eating/drinking in better positions, etc.) and lungs congestion and cough cleared up.

By Emma On 2011.01.25 09:01
I agree with the other posters, have his swallowing checked. Also remember that people with PD are prone to the same illnesses as the rest of us. Coincidently I too have had a bad cough for about three months that only bothers me when I'm awake and upright. Sometimes I cough so hard that I vomit. I finally went to the doctor last week and it turns out that I have a sinus infection and when I get up it drains causing me to cough. Look at all possibilities.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you