For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic DBS gonee bad Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By caregiverof2 On 2011.01.30 00:59
Hi
Just sitting the hospital icu they just took out my husbands DBS he got a infection in it he only had it almost 30 days. We were so excided for him And now I just hope he comes out of this. This is just a nightmare. Dr says he could try again I a. While down the road but I don't know if it is worth it. Any advice

By parkinit On 2011.01.30 09:06
I'm so sorry to hear of your spouse's infection.

We had DBS 2 years ago. My spouse is thinking about not having the batteries replaced when that time comes (or removing them or discontinuing the DBS - we're not sure how the doctors would handle his decision).

The DBS has helped somewhat, but the results have certainly been disappointing. If you are in later stages of DBS, they might not be so helpful. I would do more research on your own. We had a wonderful "honeymoon period" with the DBS device, and we are still getting longer times between the pills than before, but he is so sensitive to adjustments that he is at a stopping point and no more adjustments may be made. With that all said, we both say we would do it again for the extra time he got in between pills. That was becoming problematic because we were down to every 2 hours with the pills, so it bought us some time.

Keep us posted.

By lurkingforacure On 2011.01.30 09:23
Yahoo has an almost 1,000 member group for DBS. The guy who heads it up had DBS himself and he says it saved his life. I know it's not for everyone, but I will say that almost ALL of the problems people have with it are due to incorrect programming. Lead placement accounts for very, very few cases of problems. I have read a lot about DBS because I know we will be facing the decision ourselves sooner than we would like.

We don't have DBS, but if/when we get it, we will try to travel to the top guy to have it done. He has done literally thousands of DBS with what I understand to be a near perfect track record....of course his team includes the top programmers as well, you gotta have both.

I am so sorry you are going through this.

By packerman On 2011.01.31 11:23
yes, do check the yahoo DBS group. they have answered many questions my hubby has had over the years since he got his (2007). they give good advice because they've been there...

By caregiverof2 On 2011.01.31 18:37
Thank you all
We did do a lot o checking and went to the top dr abd hspital for this DBS we have just been told it is a mersa infection.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you