For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic cloudy future Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By LOHENGR1N On 2011.04.15 16:09
Got my April/May 2011 copy of Neurology Now magazine today. There is a short article in it about Neurologist Reimbursement. The Affordable Care Act stipulates a 10 percent bonus for Medicare physician who provide substantial amounts of evaluation and management services (face to face care) for patients. Neurologists were over looked, also the centers for Medicare and Medicaid services discontinued payment for consultation services in 2010. Both have left Neurologists reimbursement suffering. They are lobbying to be included in the bonus and for reinstatement of the consultation payments.

This is of concern to me and all of us here on the forum. If this stands and the trend continues as such our and our loved ones care will be left to those not trained in the study and treatment of Neurological diseases. Our health and quality of life will suffer and in so doing we will drag our caregivers down with us.

We all know that some dealings with Neurologists have left us scratching our heads wondering what the hay? Think just how much more stunned we will be dealing with those with little or no knowledge of Parkinson's prescribing our medications and diagnosing the subtle nuances that manifest in the course of this disease.

More information on the Affordable Care Act can be found online at sites like healthcare.gov , Centers for Medicare and Medicaid services, cms.gov and social media sites like facebook.com/Healthcare.gov or twitter at twitter.com/healthcaregov.

Take care, best of luck and hang in there

By karolinakitty On 2011.04.15 21:16
Saw that Al...I think it's ironic I read that article and then the article on early treatment for PD and MS....
As I think most of us have done, we wait way too long to see the doc, even those younger who have been diagnosed. I know with the early signs they mentioned and what we know now, he's had it longer than diagnosis. However they still aren't up on giving meds too soon. The Azilect may be a great early treatment but still I don't believe there is anything that slows the progression if the disease is brought to the forefront by other issues or simple surgeries.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you