For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Stiffness and Pain on Forearms Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By laptoptoshiba On 2011.04.25 16:39
My husband has had Parkinson's for 8 years. We considered DBS at one time, but after a lot of research he changed his mind.

What he has been facing with for the past 2 weeks, is that both of his forearms are experiencing muscle contractions and very painful. I then start rubbing them and in about 10 minutes his forearms begin to loosen up. This happens several times a day.

I have made an appointment but know from previous appointments, he will only be given more medications which he has a real problem with. Please let me know if any of you have experienced this with the person your caring for.

Thank You..

By lvmymom On 2011.04.25 17:04
Maybe Botox in the forarms if they don't stop spasming. It will keep the muscles from being able to do what they want to do. Unfortunately the Botox might keep his forearms from being able to be as strong as usual as well, with Botox. My mother had Botox in her face for spasm. They found the correct balance she she can still close her eyes, she can work her mouth and cheeks fine ...

So he'll need a neorologist specializing in Botox treatment but it is not medication so it's nice not to have to deal with more pills!

Insurance should pay for it.

By laptoptoshiba On 2011.04.25 17:18
Thank you for your response. I will bring it up at his next appointment.

By mytngenes On 2011.05.14 19:18
ICnBeatIt, my husband was dx'd in 1998-12 yrs ago. His main symptoms have always included pain & stiffness in his forearms and shoulders. He's constantly telling me "my arms feel like they weigh a ton". We have a small hand-held electric "massager" that seems to help relieve the pain whenever I rub his forearms with it. The relief doesn't last long though. He recently began taking muscle relaxers (due to a shoulder injury) and they seem to work well in relieving the stiffness/pain in his forearms.

By susger8 On 2011.05.16 08:08
My father has stiffness and muscle contraction in his lower legs. We have found that in addition to massage, doing passive range-of-motion exercises helps. I bend and straighten his lower legs -- he is not supposed to help the motion. This was recommended by his neurologist and we had a physical therapist come in for a few weeks to show us how to do it.

Sue

By urbandog On 2011.05.19 14:00
My husband has started having intense pain in his neck, back and shoulder. His feet have always been a problem caused by his constant jamming them when he walks. His Dr. recently prescribed Neurontin but it takes weeks to get into system. Anyone have experience with this medication and its side effects?

By LC On 2011.05.19 14:16
I wonder if one of the motorized bicycles would be considered helpful for passive range-of-motion exercises?

By karolinakitty On 2011.05.19 21:04
urbandog... my guy was on neurontin and it did nothing but give a lot of nausea and dizziness...gave it up.....everyone is different i know folks who it worked well for them.....

By parkinit On 2011.05.20 15:49
I echo several good suggestions here that have worked for us:

Massage
passive exercise (ask neurologist to RX a prescription for a PT to work with your spouse - medicare should pay for all of it if you have). PT can show you how to do the passive exercises and even possibly massage that may be beneficial.

By urbandog On 2011.05.23 12:28
Definitely have to wean off Neurontin. My husband has had every severe side effect including triple vision, hallucinations, total loss of coordination all weekend. It didn't even seem to have an effect on his pain issues. I'm hoping ther is another medication that can treat the pain without the side effects.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you