For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic My 1st LSVT BIG therapy treatment Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By shakingpt On 2011.04.27 08:28
Yesterday I had my first treatment. It was explained to me that with Parkinson's the trend is for the body to develop small steps, small movements and your posture becomes flexed or more fetal like as time goes on. The purpose of this program is to do just the opposite. To teach the brain that BIG movements into extension for all parts of the body is the norm and the acceptable. This will improve your overall posture and balance. You need also to exert at least 70- 80% of your maximum to get the benefit of these exercises. There are only 7 exercises that need to be repeated 10 times and they must be done twice daily. I am sore today especially in my gluteal area from all the extension. I had thought that my balance was fairly decent but two of these exercises throw me off balance so far every time I have tried them. They definitely stretch every part of the body. All these motions are done as quickly as you can do them which is just the opposite of the slowness of Parkinson like movements. I will continue to let you know over time how I progress.

By LOHENGR1N On 2011.04.27 15:11
shakinpt, Thanks for the update keep us posted on how you're doing my friend! Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By parkinit On 2011.04.29 23:37
We're in PT right now and everyone seems to have a different idea of what should be done. Keep posting on this; we're interested in hearing how you progress and if you feel it beneficial.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you