For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Gut bacteria and PD Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lurkingforacure On 2011.05.22 19:46
Hopefully we're all aware of the theory that PD actually begins in the gut. Supporting this theory is evidence that PWP have elevated gut bacteria (54%) compared to non PWP (8%). Here's an article about that (note: 54% compared to 8% is huge-why doesn't the scientific community seize on this? It's one of the biggest biomarkers we have seen despite the millions in research and it's staring us right in the face):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21520278

I've recently read an article saying that the bacteria H. Pylori feed and flourish and increase in number by using the levodopa contained in PD meds! AAAHHH! Sort of like a tapeworm taking the food you eat and using it for itself.

Now, the evidence of that pesky H. Pylori's involvement in PD mounts. Here's the article, below. We are going to get tested for H. Pylori (there are different tests but I hear the stool test is the most reliable?) and if we have it, are going to get rid of it the natural way if at all possible. Antibiotics are so horrible for the healthy bacteria in the gut. That way our sinemet will be used only by my husband and not by this bacteria, and who knows what improvement(s) that may bring. Here's the link:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2011-05/asfm-ubm051811.php

It's never too late to check this out and get tested.

By karolinakitty On 2011.05.22 21:31
Good article....gonna ask my herbalist friend tomorrow when we see her....
She is going to do an eye reading (iridology) to see if there is anything she can see besides the obvious..... Now with Iridology, if the uric acid levels are too high a good reading can't be done..but the last time she saw him he didn't seem to have the "film" associated with it....
She's hooked me up with some common (at least to me) mixes that won't effect his meds and hopefully squash some of the imbalances....I'll see what she says about this gut bacteria, and any "natural" remedy's that may help if you want.....

By buffsrich On 2011.05.24 08:04
Please do keep us posted on "natural" ways to get this bacteria under better control. I too saw the article yesterday without looking here. There was a little ah ha moment.

By karolinakitty On 2011.05.24 10:06
Ok.. so we discussed the gut bacteria and are going to be taking something natural to aid in this.....
I want to make this clear though:
Going natural or herbal is something we have not taken lightly, this is not a last resort. I have known and used herbal remedy's that i was taught from my gram. I am no herbalist nor herbalogist(has a degree). I just know from experience that natural things work and prefer to stay away from man-made drugs as much as possible. We eat mostly natural foods and grow most of them ourselves. We are not "weirdos" I don't preach it like a religion nor do i say it is the best thing for you.
Only YOU can determine if natural is what you desire. Only you can tell the doc..screw you .. i am doing it. For most doctors are against this and claim they don't work... I just want to warn you about these issues.....this is what is in this and what it does:

Recent scientific studies determined that H. pylori bacteria may be a primary cause of ulcers and found that ingredients in this formula may inhibit the activity of H. pylori.

In clinical studies, deglycyrrhizinated licorice extract (DGLE) helped soothe stomach irritations and relieved associated discomfort.

It also hasa pau d’arco bark extract, clove flower powder extract, Inula racemosa root extract and capsicum fruit.

I want to stress again that this is not for everyone.. when going on herbs the key is doing it daily AS DIRECTED and continuing it for 1month for every 10 years of life to get the right healing property.....
If anybody wants to contact me about this product i will give my email addie. I will not promote any company in this type forum.
pennyadams4u@gmail.com just put in my parkinson's in the subject

By lurkingforacure On 2011.05.24 15:00
If you google this bacteria and "natural remedy" you will find all kinds of things people claim work. I think everyone is different and you have to find what works for you. The reason the net is so active about alternative remedies for pylori eradication is because a huge percentage of the time, the antibiotics don't work. Seriously, I've read you have to take 2-3 different types of antibiotics a day for two to three MONTHS and sometimes even that doesn't work as the bacteria are incredible adaptive and become rapidly resistant to the antibiotic. The success rate with antibiotics the first time around is around 50%, I've read. Doesn't really make us want to go that route, because if it doesn't work, the doc will just say, OK, those drugs didn't work, now we're going to try these other ones...

Here's what I've read has worked for various people, again, go your own way and see what works for you:

manuka honey (only from NZ, and very pricey, we have just bought some)
good ole apple cider vinegar in water a couple times a day
mastica gum
licorice root
baking soda (yep, some claim it works!)
curcumin (this also helps tighten the blood brain barrier, a bonus!) if you take this, you'll need to take the kind that's combined with bioperine to maximize absorption, bioperine is from pepper.

There's more but these are the main ones I've seen.

By karolinakitty On 2011.05.24 15:44
we don't take pharmacy antibiotics for that very reason... I can't tell you the last time I took one....

Yes, I've heard that even plain vinegar will work, not just apple cider..... we need something that is overall good so that is why we choose this particular one. baking soda i believe because gram used to put some in warm water, and drink it when her "gut" hurt.
After the Iridology reading, his brain came out black, so other than what we are currently doing, we are adding nothing to help this.
A few things we added were a liver and kidney activator. I own't list all ingredients but nothing in there isn't something we get from natural food, however, the amount is what is the key. Here's the list of herbs in them:
juniper berry
parsley
ursi leaves
dandelion root: my gram used to eat dandelion on a regular basis, in salads and in soups, she always used it in her Italian wedding soup instead of endive or spinach.
chamomile
rose hip
barberry
fennel and red beet

Now 2 things i found online that when researching a "kidney friendly" diet were that sweet potatoes and red beets were out..... HOWEVER.....that is when it is ingested with high proteins. If you eat them with meat or veggies high in proteins, it is highly absorbed and can be toxic to the kidneys. If eaten as a light meal...like just a baked sweet potato for lunch, or red beets as a snack.... it is absorbed as it should be and benefits the kidney's. There is a lot more and i could go on, but..just like we try and balance the PD meds, so you need to know and understand how to balance the herbs with them or by themselves.
Since I personally am going through that wonderful stage in life we call menopause, my mood swings have been noticeable, as is my stress. I just started a new supplement just for that and I feel better already.... more energy and less jitters. I have not been able to handle caffeine for quite some time so that is not an issue but this herbal supplement seems to have a good balance of vitamins and herbs that does help.
OOPS.. I'll quit on that.....
One more thing.. if anybody is using B-complex for their Parkie, always get one with Magnesium....it is the catalyst for the B-Complex. Otherwise you basically just lose it down the toilet.......

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you