For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic kinda, sorta, feeling better Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Lotsapies On 2011.05.23 10:43
Hi all, lotsofbob here again. Started taking My requip this past Saturday. My dosage is 1mg three times a day. I must say that I kinda feel better. I actually got outside and helped Sally doing yard work yesterday. I was evan able to run the weedeater and do some raking of leaves. This I could not do before. My understanding is that requip acts like an extender for the sentiment. Well if it is, it works pretty good. But with all the added activity of physical labor I seem to crash sooner. Does that sound right? When I crash my symptons seem to be more severe than before. I really start shaking, especially my hands and inside me. This morning when I got up I have noticed my feet feel really heavy. Does all this sound normal?

By plcpainter On 2011.05.23 11:19
Hello lotsofbob. My pwp husband has almost exactly the same symptoms as you: shaky, dizzy, and that internal "vibration", but especially the heavy feet syndrome! Like you, these seem to be exacerbated by even nominal physical labor. He wants to keep working in the yard but the extra work makes the pd worse -- sort of a "damned if you do/damned if you don't" situation. The heavy feet make him crazy. He feels rooted to the earth. When I dress him I literally have to lift his feet up off the floor to get his clothes on! Other days he's able to do it himself! That's this whacky disease...Celebrate any "feeling better's"!!! Good for you!

By LOHENGR1N On 2011.05.23 14:44
lotsofbob, sounds "normal" to me. When I've run a weed whacker (which I haven't in quite awhile now) I can't even pick up a cup of coffee for awhile my hands shake so much. All the vibration from them seems to do something to us and our symptoms are enhanced. The feet sound right as you've not been getting out as much so you're not used to using them as much....ah to heck with that I don't know what's going on with the feet and legs mine are really bothering me also! I have kept up my walking as much as I can since Squire passed but my legs are going downhill fast. by day's end I'm pushing it to my limit to get the nigh time walk in. It must be the progression of the disease because I've walked the same distance each day but it is becoming more of a struggle to get through it. So if someone has an answer or suggestion on the feet and legs I'm all ears. As to the shaking after weed whacking I'd chalk it up to the added vibration. Maybe adjusting the med's would help some for the shaking and internal vibration (I really hate that feeling it can be so unsettling) but I'm max'd out and the Neuro is looking at backing off the amount to lessen side effects. Take care, best of luck and hang in there

By parkinit On 2011.05.23 15:29
Just a note on the "weed whacker" or weed eater. Even those of us who run them that DON'T have PD get that shaky feeling after running one. My hands shake for probably several hours after running one just from the constant vibration while holding the gas weed eater. I cannot imagine how this may effect a person with PD!

By Lotsapies On 2011.05.23 15:53
Yeah, I'm like a regular vibrating machine when I get done. Also the gas powered blower. It has been three hours now since I stopped and I feel like I'm still wacking the weeds. But it's just nice to be a little helpful . Even if it is for a short time. I pay for it in the long run though. I figure I'll be a mess for rest of the day.

By Lotsapies On 2011.05.23 17:20
Hey Al, You ever try to peel potatoes or dice onions since you have come down with PD? I'm lucky I still have knuckles or fingers left. Tried to help my wife out a little bit and fix a pot roast. Bad deal all the way around. Big mistake.

By LOHENGR1N On 2011.05.23 23:59
Bob, Yes I peel potatoes and dice onions, however I'm very forgiving of myself when I do the peels start out thin and may end up thick or be thick in the middle. Onion dices might be thin on one side of the cut and thick on the other. Be careful, take your time DON'T RUSH! We're going to just chew it up and swallow it, it doesn't have to be perfect. I like to think it ads a flare of creativity to my cooking. The main thing is don't get hurt! Keep the band aids handy and fingers intact! If you get frustrated walk away for a bit (better to eat late than grab a burger on the way back from the emergency room!) Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you