For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic nightmares - wife unable to sleep Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By sfoster On 2011.06.09 12:26
Husband is having numerous nightmares at night. Last night I woke him up 4 different times and made sure he was awake before turning over myself. Night before last was the same story. Only problem he doesn't remember anything. One night he twisted my arm until I screamed and yelled out his name to get him to stop - next morning he had no memory of it at all. This has been going on for sometime. We've been in the ER several times because he injuries himself. Therefore, I am afraid to move to another room for fear that I won't be able to get to him before he either falls out of bed or worse. Another thing is that I am exhausted due to very little sleep (2-3 hrs) at night. Help?

By susger8 On 2011.06.09 14:54
This is quite common and a problem for many. Many wives of PDers sleep in another room and use baby monitors and bed rails to try to prevent falls.

My dad's doctor suggested Klonopin for nightmares but it made my dad too groggy during the day. We found that two 3-mg tablets of melatonin before bed worked pretty well. I think people on this forum have used up to three tablets a night.

Sue

By LOHENGR1N On 2011.06.09 18:33
sfoster, Hi and welcome to the forum. Before adding another medication or over the counter remedy, has He had a change in his medication recently? Even a couple of months ago? It can take a few months for some medicines to build up to therapeutic levels so a change could just now be reaching levels causing nightmares. The side effects of many of Our drugs is vivid dreaming (nightmares). Did these dreams start after a medicine was introduced? I'd suggest talking it over with his neurologist and see what some options are. Again welcome to the forum. It's a great place filled with great people always ready to take some time to help. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you