For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic change in meds Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By frisco12 On 2011.06.09 16:57
I haven't been on here for awhile as my FIL was doing fairly well for quite some time. Last week I took him to dr. because he thought he needed something stronger because of increased trembling and walking problems, and also a urologist thought Plavix was causing a small amt. of blood in urine. So dr. took him off of Plavix and changed his carb/levo from 25/100.. 1 and a half pills 3 times daily to 25/250...1 pill 3 times a day. It will be a week tomorrow since the change and he seems to be more confused than ever, sleeping in the daytime a lot, and obsessing over when he has to take his pills. Nothing else seems to concern him much except the pills. He had also been on 2 mg. diazepam...1/2 pill 3 times daily but I've been holding that back because he is already sleeping so much in the daytime. I guess my question is, is it normal (whatever that is) to have such a big change in behavior when the meds are changed? The only meds he is currently taking is the carb/levo, baby aspirin, finesteride, and naproxin for pain twice a day.
Not sure if others have had this problem or not but I don't get many answers from drs. They either don't know or don't care to share much info. Thanks for your help. It's good to have a place to come to when we have questions.

By LOHENGR1N On 2011.06.09 19:13
frisco, I didn't have much luck in changing from the 25/100's to 25/250's. The Neurologist seemed to think that the Carbidopa was just to help with the nausea however I believe it also helps deliver the L-Dopa through the system with the 25/250's I always felt I was lacking the dosage, which might be what your FIL is feeling and expressing by obsessing about taking his pills or when the next dosage is due. This could be what's helping messing him up. Talk to his Neurologist about either going back to the 25/100's 1 and a half pills increased from 3 times a day to 4 times a day or trying the 25/100's either 2 pills 3x's daily or 2 and 1/2 pills 3x's daily. It can't hurt to run this by his Neurologist, sometimes these Doctors are so busy they don't consider these other options. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By frisco12 On 2011.06.11 20:43
Thanks so much for the suggestion. I will definitely check into that. My husband was here for the first time in a week( he's a truck driver and gone a lot) and took on the job of checking on his dad and taking him his pills. He came in tonight and began telling me how his dad was obsessing about the pills and how he didn't know what to do with that (even though I had been telling him about it all week). And I just thought, "well, welcome to our world,". Sometimes people just have to see it for themselves to get it I guess. Thanks again for your help.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you