For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic progression of PD Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By LotsaBob On 2011.06.15 10:42
Howdy everybody, As you all may or may not know, I was diagnosed with PD last year in March or April. At my last visit to my neuro on April 9th he clarified that I did infact have Parkinson's Disease and not parkinsonism. He also told lotsapies and myself that I was in H & Y stage two. My question is. Is that a rapid prgression or normal and what does H&Y mean?

By LOHENGR1N On 2011.06.15 14:24
Hiya Bob, I think I can answer this for you or at least part of it. I'd say this is normal in fact they probably wouldn't be able to give a diagnosis if you weren't in either a stage one or two. The H&Y he refers to is the Hoehn and Yahr scale (named for the Doctors that came up with it). This scale goes from 0 to 5 and has been in use for a long time. Stages of 0 to 2 are considered mild stages, Stage 3 is moderate and 4&5 are marked or advanced disease.
0 = no visible disease
1 = disease that involves only one side of the body
2 = disease that involves both sides of the body but does not impair balance
3 = disease that impairs balance and walking
4 = disease that markedly impairs balance and walking
5 = disease that results in complete immobility

So Bob this doesn't sound like anything but "normal" to Me. As we've said P.D. effects everyone differently some never develop tremor some only seem to have them on one side and some develop tremor on both sides at once (skipping over stage one completely). Hope this clears up your questions. Take care, best of luck and hang in there!

By LotsaBob On 2011.06.15 15:39
Thanks Al. One problem that I have is balance. I sometimes really have a problem with that. Almost every day. It certainly affects my walking. I sometimes find myself walking sideways instead of going forward.

By plcpainter On 2011.06.15 17:49
Hello Bob --
Has your doc put you on any meds for the PD? When my PDH was first diagnosed he was "listing" to one side, and shuffling, as he walked. The Sinemet really cleared that up! Five years later he still is walking well on his "good days".
I only ask because we recently went to a PD support group and there was a man there who was diagnosed a year ago and wasn't put on any sort of medication! I was astonished! He was really having some troubles with the PD too. We all encouraged his wife to look into some Rx. So I guess some doctors don't want to start the Rx for PD right away. Just wondering...
Exercise seems to be a real key to everything! We are starting Tai Chi which is suppose to really help balance.
Good luck!
Pat

By LOHENGR1N On 2011.06.15 20:09
plcpainter, Most Neurologist will hold off on the Sinemet (depending on the age of the patient) as it has a "honeymoon period" of approximately 5 to 7 years before many experience a waning of its effects or off and on periods. Some figure that the quality of life in latter years outweighs this honeymoon period. That's the reason most given as to add med's or hold them back at diagnosis. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By LOHENGR1N On 2011.06.15 20:20
Hey Bob take it from one who's battled long with this foe, don't rush stages or symptoms let them come as they will. Or in other words ignore a problem until you can't, try not to dwell upon something rearing it's head now and then. You say you are going sideways most of the time? well I can think of a couple of things I'd have to say if it was me. #1 I'd be saying something like ...Hey did you see that damn crab dance they got on youtube? I can't get the dang thing out of my head! Or #2 I gotta stop watching dancing with the stars!

I'd probably call it my personality quirk, comes along with the ticks! Kind of like the harder I try the behinder I get! I don't know....don't dote on it Bob, you're in training for becoming a catburgler. Come on laugh about it with me, it beats crying about it my friend. Take care, best of luck and hang in there! Shoot me an email from time to time hey.

By LotsaBob On 2011.06.15 22:01
plcpainter,yes I take sentiment. I take two 100mg four times a day. I also take keppra, two 750mg twice a day plus requip 1mg three times a day. I also take other medication for diabetes and an extender for the sentment.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you