For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic PD and major surgery Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By firstnow On 2011.06.28 12:17
My 77 year old father just had cardiac by-pass surgery. Physically, he is doing remarkably well, but mentally he has taken a dramatic turn for the worse. Before the surgery he was alert, happy, and very out-going. Now he is having hallucinations, he is anxious, and is angry. He and my mom have been married 57 years and this morning (he is still in the hospital) he told her he wants to leave her. This is so out of character we don't know how to respond. The hospital staff keeps saying this will pass, but we are afraid he has somehow suffered long-term damage.

Does anyone have experience with this? Can you give me any idea what to REALLY expect?

Thank you so much!!!

By Pearly4 On 2011.06.28 15:57
The older we all get the longer it takes for the liver and kidneys to remove the drugs from the body - these same effects are usually present in a non-Parkinson's patient as well, at least to some extent. Add to the physical assault, you have the resulting confusion of being in an entirely different environment from that which he is used to -- remodeling my kitchen at 62 has left me reaching for switches and hunting for coffee cups in all the wrong places! Imagine what he, still under the effects of pain meds, and anesthesia drugs is feeling.

Combine this with the changes that have taken place in his pre-surgical meds and timing of dosages and he may be in for an extended period of recuperation.

My mother had back surgery at 77 -- it was a minimum of three weeks before she began stabilizing and she was in a rehab facility for two months or so afterwards. She improved dramatically when we brought her home. You'll need to find a happy medium -- some point where his physical and mental condition improve enough to bring him home and once he's in familiar surroundings he should improve even more.

That being said -- everybody is different -- his recovery may be longer or shorter. Good luck!

By lvmymom On 2011.06.30 20:12
My father had parkinson's and then broke his hip ... Had hip replacement surgery and he was 'crazy' in the hospital afterward, and it took a good month in the convenlesent home before he was back to dad again. Like the previous post said - it takes time for the body to remove the drugs. Give him time. Trust in that and have patience with him until he able to be himself again.

By susger8 On 2011.07.01 11:02
Like the previous poster, my dad also broke his hip. He was extremely disoriented and confused both in the hospital and in the rehab center, over a period of about 6 weeks. I think some of this is the lingering effects of anesthesia, but a lot of it is just being in an unfamiliar environment. He improved once he was able to go back home, but I would say he never quite got back to the level of cognition he had before. (His hip is as good as new, however.)

Sue

By plcpainter On 2011.07.01 11:53
My husband had to have a shunt put in between his bladder and kidney last summer. It was an emergency situation and they used general anesthesia for the procedure. It really messed him up! As in earlier posts, he was disoriented and confused with much decreased mobility. Just about every PD symptom was ramped to a higher level. He improved over a 2 month period but was really never as good as before. A few months later he had to have the procedure again and they used a local anesthesia! I really questioned the doctor as to WHY the other doctor had used general and he said it was up to the doctor. Knowing what I know now, I will never let my husband go under a general anesthesia again if there is ANY other option! For the PWP it is extremely hard to come back from IMO.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you