For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic sciatic nerve pain Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By sannph On 2011.07.12 17:35
We've encountered a new problem and I wonder if others have experience with it. Hubby had a good day yesterday, woke today with hip pain before even getting out of bed. When he did get up, transfers were painful as was sitting in his wheelchair. Dr ordered Xray and diagnosed sciatic nerve pain probably resulting from sitting so much (he's mostly in wheelchair due to extreme balance issues). An order for a special seat cushion is in, and we also picked up a muscle relaxer prescription for his extremely tight muscles. I'm hesitant to add this to the mix even though dr and pharmacist say it should be OK. It is cyclobenzaprine--has anyone ever taken this? Has anyone had sciatic nerve pain? Appreciate greatly any input!

By packerman On 2011.07.12 18:01
chriopractic adjustments have helped me a lot.

By mylove On 2011.07.12 18:13
Shakydog had it, and found something that worked wonders for him. I'll prod him to post it when I get home.

By shakydog On 2011.07.12 21:19
Hi Ho Neighbor!! Oh that sciatic nerve and the twisted route it takes - make a grown man cry when it's in full grab. But it can be beat.

1. Stretch the muscle that is grabbing the nerve by laying flat and lifting the knee to the opposite shoulder. Keep your back flat so the stretch is in the back of your leg.

2. Find a 5 or 6 inch diameter exercise ball - there are several fitness guru's who have 3 or 4 lb. Sand filled balls that can be used to massage the muscle that is grabbing the sciatic and causing all the pain. Flat on the back, place the ball under the sore hip, roll on top of the ball so the sore spot is being rubbed. Don't over do it - if it hurts stop and rest. But keep at it and it will get easier.

Technically the pyraformis muscle has cramped around the sciatic. It's an odd arrangement where the nerve actually goes through the muscle.

I'm not a pro anything and I hope this doesn't make things worse. But it works for me

By sannph On 2011.07.17 15:22
Thanks for your helpful responses!

DISCLAIMER: This website shares news, information, personal opinions, and experiences related to Parkinson's disease and caring for people with Parkinson's. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking it because of something you have read on this website and its discussion forum.

© MyParkinsons.org · Published by jAess Media · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Sponsorship Assistance for this website and Forum has been provided by people like you