For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Hiccuping Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By rmshea On 2011.08.03 07:46
I did a search on this site and nothing came up..MIL's caregiver and I have noticed her hiccuping a lot and when she eats, there's a lot of coughing--she says things are getting stuck or going down the wrong way. Is this a sign of swallowing issues and diaphragm muscle issues? Has anyone run across this? Also, her resentment is being focused on me--she is also fighting using the walker, hydrating, and being told what to do. She is forgetting her meds more and more. I figure the anger is because she really doesn't understand what's happening to her. She asks every doctor we go to, Why do I have PD? the issue isn't why it's what and she doesn't understand. The family still leaves her care up to me and finances are a huge issue.

By LOHENGR1N On 2011.08.03 08:41
rmshea, Awhile ago We did have a thread on this. It very well could be a form of dyskinesia. the things going down the wrong way and coughing sounds like there could be swallowing issues.

By karolinakitty On 2011.08.03 09:45
Did a check on Google university and it seems a study was done with 100 patients.
Eighteen (20%) of the PD patients and three (3%) of the control subjects reported frequent hiccups. The reported occurrence of hiccups was significantly higher in PD patients than controls. Nine patients noted that hiccups had appeared in the past, particularly around the onset of PD. One patient was admitted to our hospital because of intractable hiccups before a diagnosis of PD was made. Another eight patients reported the emergence of hiccups following the administration of antiparkinsonian drugs.

Also read another Neurology newletter that stated Requip case studies showed hiccups as a side effect although i didn't read that in my original research on Requip.

By rmshea On 2011.08.03 15:29
Thanks. I found the thread using Google instead of this site's search. The only drug she's on is carb/levo..at least for PD. Judging from the way she breathes, her entire upper body moves like she's panting slowly after a long workout, I figured it was a new development in the advance of PD.we'll just note it in the diary for the followup visit with the neuro.

By buffsrich On 2011.08.04 11:20
WOW! This is my MIL exactly! The only way we've found to control the medicine forgetfulness is to be there at drug time and watch her take the meds. I know this is hard but we have to do it. Her excuse for "forgetting" is that she doesn't think she needs this pill or that pill at that particular time. As for the stuff getting stuck in the throat her doc said that's because of PC and the muscle control issues. PD'ers with this kind of problem often get some kind of pneumonia due to fluids going down into the lungs and not to the stomach.

By rmshea On 2011.08.05 08:47
Buffsrich,
I'm the only one that understands the med situation and I cannot be there..I have charts, alarm clocks, a caregiver half days, a sister in law on Saturdays...You know what I hear--well, she gets mad when you tell her what to do...HUH????? MIL will take the pills and set them down; I have to HOUND her to actually swallow them. Or she will put them in her pocket, and the laundry lady finds them. The family refuses to put her in assisted living because 'she doesn't want to move'. Yet no one is willing to pay for med management personnel or to be there every 6 hrs around the clock. Very frustrating.

By parkinit On 2011.08.13 17:51
My spouse would simply forget to take them - even when I called to remind him. Sooo, when I am out running errands now and he is there with someone else, I still call, but say, "I'm not hanging up until you tell me you've actually taken the pills." He may get a bit irritated that I do this, but we both are assured that he has taken the pill, and from past experience this is the only way that works for us.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you